Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Kindness in Self Defense. Reply with quote

I'll tell the other side of my experience as a martial artist from day to day. I realize that most people don't have years of martial arts training. Most haven't even had a magical exposure to a Krav Maga course. But I work in the mental health community as a director of an advocacy service. Our advocates are from many backgrounds, male and female, younger and older. We as a service are due to provide these employees with training as regard to self defense and escape techniques that they could use in the varied sometimes pressured environment that we ask them to work. What system of defense strategy would you recommend? There are several variables to consider here. First of all, the law. The way a jury would see an altercation with a potentially vulnerable if not unaware adult is complicated. You cannot just knock them out or apply a choke. They are after all in your care. My first instinct was to recommend Aikido or Ju Jitsu; but how long a course can you offer? Can you give enough training to make a valid contribution to someone's confidence? The danger is making them over confident in a skill they do not have. I'll tell you what the UK government suggest. It's called "Breakaway Training." Now, this is a 4 hour course, and I was lucky enough to be able to sit in on a session. Everyone there was dressed as you would be for work, jacket, shirt and tie. The session was like a team builder, flip chart and all. Now, I don't aspire to be an expert, but these guys think that mentally ill people are utter idiots when it comes to a physical confrontation. Not only were the defenses unrealistic, they were positively dangerous as these poor students went away thinking that they would work. I can say that some of the best and most powerful fighters I have known have been in an interview addressing their mental health. If for a second you think that raising your hands in what the guy called "The Curtain Technique" and pivoting to avoid an attack as if you had all the time in the world would make a difference; then I am sorry, you are very much deluded. This attempt at a politically correct system of defense was comical. So, what do you suggest I do with my advocates? Do I get them some Hakama? Or maybe some MMA mitts?

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sticky topic. I'd say something that doesn't "leave marks". I wouldn't teach them Muay Thai! Maybe something like Hapkido or Ju Jitsu that employs joint manipulations and controlling techniques. These can be very effective to protect the individual as well as not causing a lot of damage to the attacker. But if need be, they can disable an attacker. Aikido is another form that is interesting. But it takes a long time for someone to become proficient at any style, so I'd encourage them to stick with it and not approach it as a one and done course.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compliant techniques is what I'd use. They're not going to produce dramatic injuries to those who a compliant technique is being applied to. One of the easiest, imho, is called the "Bump".

You walk up to said individual from behind and bump them with your body. At that moment, their arms will open. It is then that your arms go up and over their arms, wrapping them up with your palms up and high against their shoulders while your keeping them tight to your body. Then, step backward with your dominate leg, drop to that knee, and then turn towards the ground.

You're on top. None of you are hurt. That means, don't slam them to the ground. Keep a lot of your body on top of them, but not so much that you're suffocating them, do it fast and through, but not abusive!! Said person's not going anywhere until you let them up.

Hopefully, I've provided something of use. If not, I've missed the question(s) all together.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido, judo, hapkido, Japanese jujutsu, BJJ, or the tuidi of karate would all be reasonable sources to work from for teaching people how to deal with aggression in that environment. One of my former training partners used to work in precisely the environment that you describe, and she used her judo training on more than one occasion to avoid injury to herself and her clients, and control them until help could arrive. The key thing is to be sure that anything that is taught, is taught and trained properly and appropriately for the environment.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have never worked in the mental health field, my friend however, has worked in it for many years. He, like you, thinks these "breakaway techniques" are laughable at best. He's actually had to lock himself in a room and let his client tear the place apart trying to get to him, his client was a 6ft 5', 20 stone man who had previously permantly injured a 5ft female carer by lifting her clean off the floor by her breasts. He's had excrement thrown at him, his glasses broken, the shirt ripped off his back and countless black eyes. The techniques he has to use are worse than useless. BUT I'd be wary of teaching any martial arts techniques to folk with no experience in the MAs, it could all end very badly, after all how mauch can one person truly learn in a 4hr session. It could result in injury, court cases, even prison. The law quite rightly sees these people as vulnerable and has to protect them, but at the same time there's a big difference between being violent to them for no reason and protecting yourself when you feel your personal safety or even life could be in danger. But until better procedures come in for carers in terms of self defense, the law is always going to be on the side of the service user. It's a terrible catch 22.

Mo.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a black and white (or black and blue?) answer here.

Some will advocate grappling, some striking.

I think it will depend on the scenario, and intensity of the attacker, and the level of response accordingly.

Then of course there is the ability to explain your situation to law enforcement and potentially in a Court.

If you are a previously convicted criminal known for violence, then there is little chance of pleading self defence, whereas if you are a worker in a prominent position, it is likely to change the perception of law enforcement and the Courts.....

Also, the environmental situation - were you leaving a bar at 2am after night out, or leaving the supermarket at 3.30pm?......

Really, the list of variables is too great to give definitive answers, and all may have some bearing on your ability to plead "compliant" or "kind" self defence.
It does not matter if you choke someone our, lock them up and tear an arm muscle, or punch them in the face. Violence is violence, and self defence is self defence, but proving such involves different elements altogether.

In so far as teaching defensive elements - I am a firm believer that simple is better. Disarm, immobilise, move out.
Simple tactics, not so simple to get everyone effective in adrenaline fuelled stations, irrespective of mental health.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
I don't think there is a black and white (or black and blue?) answer here.

Some will advocate grappling, some striking.

I think it will depend on the scenario, and intensity of the attacker, and the level of response accordingly.

Then of course there is the ability to explain your situation to law enforcement and potentially in a Court.

If you are a previously convicted criminal known for violence, then there is little chance of pleading self defence, whereas if you are a worker in a prominent position, it is likely to change the perception of law enforcement and the Courts.....

Also, the environmental situation - were you leaving a bar at 2am after night out, or leaving the supermarket at 3.30pm?......

Really, the list of variables is too great to give definitive answers, and all may have some bearing on your ability to plead "compliant" or "kind" self defence.
It does not matter if you choke someone our, lock them up and tear an arm muscle, or punch them in the face. Violence is violence, and self defence is self defence, but proving such involves different elements altogether.

In so far as teaching defensive elements - I am a firm believer that simple is better. Disarm, immobilise, move out.
Simple tactics, not so simple to get everyone effective in adrenaline fuelled stations, irrespective of mental health.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: