Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Kingai Ryu Reply with quote

I met a customer that flew in town to go over a project and at lunch the conversation turned to MA. He said he studied Kingai Ryu. Our lunch was short as we needed to get back to the task at hand so I didn't get to much past what he told me of it.

Over the years I have heard this term many times. While studying Matayoshi Kobudo our instructor often spoke of this art but never showed us anything in terms of techniques.

He stated that it was not a striking art nor a weapons art but both and practiced as such. He said that it was heavily White Crane. This interested me.

Have any of you studied this art? Can you give more detail as to what it is and if it is a White Crane art?

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinko Matayoshi, the individual who introduced Kingai-Ryu to his family arts, primarily studied Fuchow Quan Fa under Roshi Kingai. Due to his connection to Koki Go and Kenki Go, and the unique kata practised in Kingai-Ryu (Such as Tora Tsuru: Tiger-Crane) the system is believed to be a branch of Fujian Tiger-Crane. Similarly; the Matayoshi lineage also contains significant White Crane forms and influences from Kenki Go, whom was Shinko Matayoshi's other significant teacher. As most people believe Kingai-Ryu to be "the" unarmed discipline of the Matayoshi family; the recognition that Kingai-Ryu is but one system of techniques preserved by the Matayoshi family is often lost in translation. Indeed, Kingai-Ryu contains techniques for the Hooked Pole-Arm, a combination of sword and shield found little elsewhere, the use of the Surujin (Weighted cord), and even Shuriken Jutsu. This is not a unsubstantial Kobudo syllabus by any means.

Much confusion arises from the fact many believe Matayoshi-Ryu is only a form of Kobudo; simply because of the popularity of Matayoshi Kobudo. However, there was a form of Matayoshi-Ryu Kenpo; which Shinko Matayoshi augmented with the Tsuru Kenpo of Kenki Go, and the unarmed forms of Kingai-Ryu. Kingai-Ryu is very much a form of Fujian Tiger-Crane; but Matayoshi Kenpo is very much influenced by White Crane, and the Kenpo readily demonstrated to the public is very much of the Crane Style. As such, that is where much of the assertion that Kingai-Ryu is essentially White Crane comes from, but Matayoshi Kenpo is largely White Crane; Kingai-Ryu itself is Tiger-Crane.

This is, by the way, from an outside observer and I have only encountered Matayoshi-Ryu a handful of time. I have just had the benefit of talking to practitioners more than willing to explain the distinguishing qualities of Kingai-Ryu, and the rest of the Matayoshi system. I was once also under the impression it was solely White-Crane, until I was informed otherwise. To be fair; I think it's more like Hung Gar in its form the more I look at it.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kingai Ryu Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:

Have any of you studied this art? Can you give more detail as to what it is and if it is a White Crane art?

I do.

My teacher learned Kingai Ryu and Kobudo from Matayoshi Senseei in the early 70's, when Matayoshi Sensei and Sekichi Toguchi came to the United States. Many interesting stories were shared regarding that visit.

Kingai Ryu is Matayoshi's family system. It was taught as an empty hand art, as well as a weapons art.

My Dojo brother visited the Kodokan circa 1992 and I did circa 1994. During our respective trips Matayoshi taught us Kobudo and Goju Ryu. Matayoshi Sensei taught me 2 different versions of Pechulen.

During my trip I had lunch with Matayoshi Sensei and a very high ranking Goju Sensei from Okinawa. During that meal, the Goju Sensei spent almost the entire time questioning Matayoshi Sensei about Sanchin and Sanchin breathing.

An interesting trip for me...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of some interest...

https://kodokanboston.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/kingairyuarticle.pdf

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. That answers my questions.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Thanks Bob. That answers my questions.

You're welcome; glad that that link helped.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: