Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Knee injury rate Reply with quote

I'm thinking of migrating to muay thai.

In my cursory research of the style, it looks like the right path for me given my interests, goals, and body type.

I should perhaps throw in at this stage that I have no interest in competition, but I don't think that would be a problem.

One thing I notice though is that muay thai folks like to deliver roundhouse kicks to the sides of their opponents knees. From a combat perspective this makes perfect sense. Knees are not built to bend sideways. If they do, then typically that leg is finished, and by extension, the fight is finished as your opponent can't even stand never mind fight.

But from a training perspective, I'm wondering how folks manage to train regularly without destroying their knees.

I'm sure at this point lots of 20 or 30 year old people will be thinking it's a silly question. I'd be interested to learn how people in their 40s and 50s and beyond get on.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time contributes to ones wear-and-tear whether one like it or not.

This October will usher in my 54th year in Shindokan Saitou-ryu. However, my being 60 years old, 61 years old, as well, this October, have had my share of dings with the knees, my right knee in particular. How do I continue to train

A static body can't remain strong and healthy!! I exercise the tar out myself, and it every known part of my body, especially where my knees/legs are concerned. Without turning this thread into an Health, Training and Fitness forum...

Strong knees require strong quadriceps, glutes, and calves!!

I've a strict routine at the gym, and my lower extremities are no exceptions. I've an extensive series of knee strengthening/extension exercises that I do daily, both at home and at the gym.

For example...

Mini or partial squats
Standing hamstring curls
Marching in place
Heel raises
Quad sets
Straight leg raises
Wall slides with a ball
Clams
Glute bridges
Side leg raises
Resistance band leg 4 corners
Knee extension machine (AT THE GYM, unless you own one)
Leg presses (AT THE GYM, unless you own one)

Those are some of the exercises I do daily. Some other things I do, and am not ashamed about...

Compression Knee Sleeves
Stretching routine
Swimming
Biking

Let's also not forget one of the easiest exercises that strengthens the whole body, not just the knees...walking!!

No matter all of the care I take to protect my aging knees, there's one factor that I can't ignore, and that's not effectively defending my knee, however that might be, from a well placed kick, and if the knee is struck at the optimum angle, well, the knee's simply toast.

For me, I keep moving, and just jam the crap out of them, while leg checking them as well, when they try to gain distance from me, well, I'm like that irritating glue that you just can't get off and/or get away from. I also try to keep my right knee in the rear of my stances.

I do all that I can do so I can continue to train.

Anyway, hope this helps a little.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee injury rate Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
I'm thinking of migrating to muay thai.

In my cursory research of the style, it looks like the right path for me given my interests, goals, and body type.

I should perhaps throw in at this stage that I have no interest in competition, but I don't think that would be a problem.

One thing I notice though is that muay thai folks like to deliver roundhouse kicks to the sides of their opponents knees. From a combat perspective this makes perfect sense. Knees are not built to bend sideways. If they do, then typically that leg is finished, and by extension, the fight is finished as your opponent can't even stand never mind fight.

But from a training perspective, I'm wondering how folks manage to train regularly without destroying their knees.

I'm sure at this point lots of 20 or 30 year old people will be thinking it's a silly question. I'd be interested to learn how people in their 40s and 50s and beyond get on.

I'm not a Muay Thai practitioner so I can't speak to the amount of knee injuries in that art. However in my art it is not uncommon to receive injuries (including the knees). My right knee has been blown out (severe ACL tear that took a bit of my leg bone with it) but with time and effort all things are over come.

Is there a higher injury rate in Muay Thai to the knees? Possibly. However there is a real risk of injury in any combat art. It's just something we understand and accept as a part of training.

As Sensei8 stated there are ways to reduce the chances of injury by strengthening the legs but anyone can be caught wrong and sustain an injury.

Mine came from doing something that has been ingrained into my head for decades of what not to do. I planted my foot as my student swept it. At first I was less upset about getting my knee blown out as I was with doing something that I know not to do that lead to the knee getting blown out.

Bottom line is... it happens. You can prepare your whole life and all it takes is one little lapse in judgement, get caught not paying attention or not having your mind in the moment or just make an honest mistake and hello injury. All you can do is train correctly and try to rely on your training. If it happens, it happens.

After 41 year I can tell you after many, many broken bones, torn ligaments, 2 concussions, bruises, cuts and the like... it will happen. It's just part of the fun!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing muay thai for about 12 years now- never heard of someone injuring their knees far as something like an ACL or whatnot is concerned You're not really kicking their knee as you don't want to hit the bone. You're kicking just above the knee. Think of your muscular system as suit of armor and you're trying to hit the thinnest part Peoples knees buckle and fights end when fighters are unable to stand because the muscles in the legs don't work anymore from the damage taken- not because the ligaments are damaged. That's one

Two is that you'll only be getting kicked when you're sparring which is hardly every class and even when you do spar it'll hardly be 100% all the time. Lots of muay thai classes will be hitting pads and trading back and forth with minimal damage to your body. Just as safe as the next thing- its the fight that's painful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: