Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I have seen that work. It does have some disadvantages though. I am not looking for a submission or a tap out either. The thing many people forget though is that the reason folks tap to something like an Ude Garami is that the alternative is that arm not working any more. My main focus is not dying, so I am absolutely going to grapple with my foe, or fence with them if I can get something in my hand because that is what I am trained to do. In my experience with knives, stopping the knife hand from moving is the most important key, followed by taking the wielders balance, then taking the knife out of play or gaining control of it. If you can skip any of these steps and still accomplish the goal, great, but if you mess up when skipping a step, your chances of bleeding just went up.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As all knife confrontations will differ, there are no absolute ways of dealing with the situation.

However speed of action has it's merits and so does using anything at hand to gain the advantage.

Keys, a belt or a base-ball hat can be used to enhance bear handed fighting skills. A pen stabbed in to the attackers weapon holding hand would work well also.

Any type of fluid thrown in to the attacker's face could add two more seconds as a distraction or a temporary blinding course of action.

As martial artists having the ability to turn everyday items in to a weapon could be explored during self defence classes.

Your own clothing or the attackers clothes can be used to one's advantage also.

Throwing anything close at hand can also be used as a damaging projectile or a temporary distraction.

Creatively in the dojo with unorthodox self defence option is not utilized enough and getting out of the dojo and in to tight or confined places is also not practical for practicing or teaching a large group of students..

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Most martial artists have very little understanding of the realities of violence outside of a controlled environment. The truth is, chaos, damage, and pain are just facts of life in non-controlled violent situations and frankly training that will truly prepare you for that does not appeal to everyone. How often do most Aikido practitioners, for example, train to anaerobic failure and THEN try to do a sankyo against an armed attacker at full speed?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knife defence techniques no matter done slow or fast from all different directions are valid but they do have limitations by practicing against fellow classmates that don't have the real intent or consent to hurt you.

Wearing protective gear such as goggles and padding and attacking with a knife with full intent is not the answer either because in reality in the street we will not be padded and wearing safety goggles.

So what is the answer then? Knowing everything has it's limitations and capitalizing on your opponents ones is one option. Having the harsh realities working for you than against you.

Using any type of (martial art) dojo knife defense techniques do have validity but just be beware that they can limit a person's natural survival skills in the initial stages of learning them.

Therefore train your knife defence skills to a very high standard, so they become as natural to use as possible.

when a mother's child is in danger she will naturally react to the situation to save the child, without hesitation, her actions are self sacrificing, putting her own safety as secondary to her child.

Training for every possible knife attack would not be practical but training your initial reaction is.

So have a knife defence game plan and take it from there. As we are all different find out what works for you and how it works well for others while your at it.

Have an attack plan and also an escape plan also such as a quick shin or groin strike and run; it makes it more difficult to be chased and enhances your escape plan.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Knife defence techniques no matter done slow or fast from all different directions are valid but they do have limitations by practicing against fellow classmates that don't have the real intent or consent to hurt you.

Wearing protective gear such as goggles and padding and attacking with a knife with full intent is not the answer either because in reality in the street we will not be padded and wearing safety goggles.

So what is the answer then? Knowing everything has it's limitations and capitalizing on your opponents ones is one option. Having the harsh realities working for you than against you.

Using any type of (martial art) dojo knife defense techniques do have validity but just be beware that they can limit a person's natural survival skills in the initial stages of learning them.

Therefore train your knife defence skills to a very high standard, so they become as natural to use as possible.

when a mother's child is in danger she will naturally react to the situation to save the child, without hesitation, her actions are self sacrificing, putting her own safety as secondary to her child.

Training for every possible knife attack would not be practical but training your initial reaction is.

So have a knife defence game plan and take it from there. As we are all different find out what works for you and how it works well for others while your at it.

Have an attack plan and also an escape plan also such as a quick shin or groin strike and run; it makes it more difficult to be chased and enhances your escape plan.
Some really good points here.

I would like to point out that the best knife defense "game plan" is to not have people try and stick knives in you.

It is also worth noting that saying wearing protective gear is not the answer is like saying that boxing is not the answer to learning to punch because they wear gloves.
All training has flaws, that's why we can use it for training and not end up with broken bodies at the end.

The key is understanding what flaws you are willing to accept. For me, and most people that I know, the flaw of protective gear that mimics the behavior of heavy clothing which you MIGHT be wearing, is less damaging than the flaw of believing that you can do something when your life is on the line when you have only ever done it in slow motion in a controlled environment.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would say wearing protective gloves and hand wraps are not good for learning how to punch; fine for boxers but not for me.

Training in an over protective way is just not my way. I want to feel hit when I get hit, other wise how will I ever know that I was hit.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, and I have been hit by a boxer before. With boxing gloves on. I didn't have any trouble feeling it or knowing that I was hit.
I have also been hit by a crow bar, and a bat. I guarantee you that if you can soak damage well enough to not know you have been hit by a well practiced boxer, then I have a deal for you. Pays 6-7 figures a year. May require some contact. Apply at your local boxing gym. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I have heard this sort of argument before and it does not hold any more water now than it did then. I will reiterate, all training has flaws, that is why it is called training and not "combat" or "assault". You say protective gear is not for you. Do you wear a cup when you spar?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear a cup when I spar. My father was a professional boxer, so didn't get spanked as a kid for misbehaving, had to bob and weave punches instead.

Had my knuckles split open in a fight, got to see the white of the bones; not a pretty sight.

Was doing jujitsu street fighting in the street before I knew there was such a thing.

Have been stabbed and shot, knocked out a few times, had the wind knocked out of me, beaten by multiple attackers many times...

Just don't see the point getting dressed up in hockey and football protective equipment, then proceed to beat the living hell out of someone with a baseball bat and for them to do likewise; just doesn't happen in reality, so why practice it?

Personally I practice reality type based martial arts therefore I don't fight for sport or for others entertainment.

I come from a time and place you may not understand; I'm not what you would describe as fight, gun or knife shy... better to leave it at that.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been shot. That is the only thing on your list of experiences I don't share. My father is a former Marine. I still remember the first time I got jumped on my way home from school. Violence hasn't gone away from the world, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume that others don't understand you just because they don't necessarily agree. The fact that your still breathing means that your training has flaws, so does mine, I just prefer the ones that I can see and control. Protective gear means that I can deal with the realities of aggression, adrenal stress response, and full contact fighting, and still go to work at my office in the morning. My main "self defense" these days is to refrain from violent behavior and avoid violent people. If someone brings drama, violence, or trouble in to my life, they are not my friend or my family regardless of blood. I practice martial arts for fun, fitness, and historical research. Self defense is an entirely separate field of study that only overlaps with MA at a few points.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much agree with the avoidance of violence and violent people.

(At my age getting hit in the head with or without protective gear is too risky. I don't have anything to prove by doing it so head shots are off the menu for me and those I spar with. I just use focus pads or controlled pulled punches to the head if need be)

Growing up violence was the norm, home, school and the streets. As I was a skinny kid an easy target for bullies. Just kept getting beaten up as a young teen, then eventually things worsened.

Getting mugged at night by a bully with a knife, that stuck it in the side of my neck. I was only 14 years old. What kind of money does a young teen carry around; not much!
Still more confrontations and narrow escapes from gangs that like to rob teenagers.

After these experiences I started getting more keen to know how to fight and defend myself. More than half a century has passed since then; I'm still interested and learning.

I like to pass on my self-defense techniques and experiences to those willing to absorbe it. Perhaps it will help someone to save a life someday, who knows.

I'm sure that martial arts has saved my life, perhaps more than once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: