Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shaolin13
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Korean Kung Fu Reply with quote

Hi, I studied Praying Mantis Kung Fu years ago in Colorado under Grandmaster Chul Woo Jung where he taught TKD TSD Hapkido and Kung Fu under the Moo Duk Kwan. I'm looking for any information on him and the Kung Fu form that he taught. I believe that it was a Northern Mantis form and as the beginning part of that form he taught "Taun Te's" and "Taun Kwan's". I believe the Taun Te's are a variation on Tan Tui but I cannot find any information anywhere to confirm this. Also, I cannot find any information at all on the Taun Kwans and all the schools that taught this style have closed either before or since the pandemic. If there is anyone who has any information that can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Kung Fu Reply with quote

Shaolin13 wrote:
Hi, I studied Praying Mantis Kung Fu years ago in Colorado under Grandmaster Chul Woo Jung where he taught TKD TSD Hapkido and Kung Fu under the Moo Duk Kwan. I'm looking for any information on him and the Kung Fu form that he taught. I believe that it was a Northern Mantis form and as the beginning part of that form he taught "Taun Te's" and "Taun Kwan's". I believe the Taun Te's are a variation on Tan Tui but I cannot find any information anywhere to confirm this. Also, I cannot find any information at all on the Taun Kwans and all the schools that taught this style have closed either before or since the pandemic. If there is anyone who has any information that can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

First of all, its an honor for me to be replying to this thread because I was wondering about Korean kung fu as well.

Now myself, I consider myself a karate guy but my style is Tang Soo Do which means "the way of the Chinese hand" and if you look at history, you see that Taekkon is the original martial arts of Korea. But then it got mixed with Kung Fu and some say it was the northen style known as Nei-ga-ryu under master yang. This korean man who ventured in to china is by the name Hwang Kee and so perhaps he is the one to look in to.

Afterwards when Japan invaded Korea, The Taekkyon and Kung Fu got mixed with Karate aka empty hand or originally known as Chinese hand. Hence Tang Soo Do. Now after Japan left, Koreans did not want to be tied down to china or japan and wanted their own identity. From there, many folks were encouraged to rename Tang Soo Do to taekwondo aka "the fist of foot way"

I have often heard the term "every martial arts has its origin in shaolin" but reality is, every martial arts has borrowed or been inspired by shaolin kung fu. Now to your original question,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: