Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

colourfulnames
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: korean vs jap karate Reply with quote

Hi all, curious if anyone can share their thoughts. Tang soo do compared to sankukai. Raw power, lifelong study, opportunity to train under instructors that are on the up not with one foot in the grave. Im 43 so dont want to make wrong choice. have to travel to learn both so not easy to view classes. Curious for members experiences before i begin travel to explore myself.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to KF!!

I suppose it's what you're wanting from a style of the MA. Sankukai, from what I've seen, has solid hand techniques, and what I truly like about it is that they highly encourage pair training, and not from mid-level karateka's, but right from day one. Solid are, imho. Of course you'd expect me to say that about it, because I'm a karateka, and not a Tang Soo Do practitioner.

Tang Soo Do, like most, if not all Korean arts emphasize kicking over punching, IMHO!! That's how I view the majority of Korean based styles of the MA. One of the things I don't like about Tang Soo Do, and this isn't in every dojang, is that the beginners use "blockers", similar to what Century MA Supply sells, while they're sparring. I understand the safety factor and all, but to cripple a beginner right off the bat, is detrimental to said students MA betterment.

Because of the distance involved for you to visit said schools, I suggest that you go with your gut. Both, Tang Soo Do and Sankukai are solid MA. It's the preference of the individual.

Good luck with your search, and please, let us know how things turn out.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sankukai is heavy on partner training, like sensei8 mentions, then I think I would prefer it, as long as its got a method, and not just a one-step method.

Depending on the Tang Soo Do style you get, there are some that still have the strong Karate root, with the forms and paired work.

I know you don't want to hear this, but take the time, even with the travel involved, to look into each one. You will thank yourself in the end. Let us know which one you decide to go with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: