Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Krav maga stops robbery on bus. Reply with quote

Hi guys, just heard this story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsUqIktMEU

So what do you guys think? should he not have taken the risk? (I don't think he should have). what should he have done differently? it didn't go totally smoothly, he didn't have enough control to throw those famous KM groin kicks that you would see used here in the demos. Though it's probably to his credit that he didn't.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analyze all you want, he reacted and it worked. Taking a gun away is a risk, having a gun pointed at you is a risk, acting is a risk, inaction is a risk. It worked out well, so jolly good show old chap.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Analyze all you want, he reacted and it worked. Taking a gun away is a risk, having a gun pointed at you is a risk, acting is a risk, inaction is a risk. It worked out well, so jolly good show old chap.
Agreed.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

Still, it's better to lose your wallet and phone than your life. No reputable instructor recommends going up against a gun or knife unless you suspect they're not satisfied with your belongings. of course, good on him, good that it worked out, but in general?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

I concur!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guird wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

Still, it's better to lose your wallet and phone than your life. No reputable instructor recommends going up against a gun or knife unless you suspect they're not satisfied with your belongings. of course, good on him, good that it worked out, but in general?

You're right. If this was a hypothetical situation I would urge my students to comply with the robber. An iPod (at least the ones that I have seen) are not worth your life.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
guird wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

You're right. If this was a hypothetical situation I would urge my students to comply with the robber. An iPod (at least the ones that I have seen) are not worth your life.

I agree and disagree. Personally, I think its great he took the fight to this guy. Its a choice he had to make for himself, and he did what he felt was right. I agree that most times, its best to give up your stuff. But, I also think this guy did the right thing. He decided not to be a victim. Good for him.

As for how the control went, evaluating the situation from a technique and execution standpoint...that's how these things go. Technique doesn't end up perfect, and when you get into it with someone who resists, it changes the whole dynamic of the situation. Also, the tight quarters caused issues, as well, and if the bus was moving, then that's a whole other factor to consider. The only thing you can count on in combat is chaos. And its tough to plan for.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have any firearms training? You are taught to keep your finger OFF of the trigger until 3 seconds before deciding to shoot. The reason is that research have shown that anything that startles you (like a kid coming around a corner) will result in you pulling that trigger. It's a reflex mechanism.

Here, I think that the pistol in the victim's face startled him because he wasn't paying attention, and he thought that he was about to be killed. I doubt that he went for the gun to protect his iPod. I don't think it was any decision to defend his property.

And I think that the victim was extremely lucky that the perp didn't apply any pressure on his pistol otherwise his reflex mechanism would have resulted in a squeezed trigger.

rucass
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Realistic self defense

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Still, it's better to lose your wallet and phone than your life. No reputable instructor recommends going up against a gun or knife unless you suspect they're not satisfied with your belongings. of course, good on him, good that it worked out, but in general?[/quote]

What's the point of practicing self defense then if you are just going to lay down? My guess is that he had faith in his training.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rucass wrote:
"Still, it's better to lose your wallet and phone than your life. No reputable instructor recommends going up against a gun or knife unless you suspect they're not satisfied with your belongings. of course, good on him, good that it worked out, but in general?

What's the point of practicing self defense then if you are just going to lay down? My guess is that he had faith in his training.
I think that a couple of things factor in to that. There is a difference between self defense and putting yourself in the line of fire. It didn't seem that the robber had any intention to kill the guy if he had simply handed over his iPod. In that case, it is a better to assess the situation to see if force is needed, which is something that instructors should be teaching.

If the robber had threatened the man's life and the only way to live was to defend, then I would argue that you should risk your life to disarm the robber.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: