Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

burket79
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just learned krav maga a few weeks ago on a military trip in israel with a company called LionOps. i learned all the techniques from the best of the best (since the israelis created it) and therefore, i'm a huge advocate of it. i love the style and think it's awesome.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burket79 wrote:
i just learned krav maga a few weeks ago on a military trip in israel with a company called LionOps. i learned all the techniques from the best of the best (since the israelis created it) and therefore, i'm a huge advocate of it. i love the style and think it's awesome.

So you learned the whole system all ready? How long did this take?

Open minded
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, judo, jujitsu, ninjisu, wing chun kung fu, JKD, MMA, Aikido, Boxing, Kick Boxing, street fighting, tai chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done krav maga

Done MMA and teach JKD

Know Krav maga is taught in military

I was in the british army myself

Royal enginneers a sparky

MMA is different to Krav Maga but there is no clear winner

I say they are both as good as each other

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to two different Krav schools and observed two intermediate classes. They both look like MMA training.

Got a funny feeling that your local Krav center either teaches MMA. Or they teach a very watered down no legal liability version of Krav.

BTW, the military did a test to see how long professional soldiers are out of the military before their skills become so useless that they need to go through boot camp again. The answer is 6 months.

Therefore, Krav or no Krav, your training has a 6 month life before it becomes useless.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter, off topic a bit, do you happen to have a link to that study? I'm not doubting the number a bit, but I'd like the citation for work reasons. If you're aware of where I can get it, it would save me a bunch of time hunting for it.

Thanks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
brickshooter, off topic a bit, do you happen to have a link to that study? I'm not doubting the number a bit, but I'd like the citation for work reasons. If you're aware of where I can get it, it would save me a bunch of time hunting for it.

Thanks.
I agree. It would be a great study to show supervisors in regards to justifying a continuing DT program.

My DT partner has actually succeeded in getting mandatory DT training quarterly for his department.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

Thanks.

I can't remember the exact source. I think it was a Jane's Defense Weekly. The time was during or after the Israeli incursion into Lebanon where Israeli reservists had a difficult time recalling their training. So the US military did a study on the issue.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="glockmeister"]Nice clip. Thanks for sharing.[/quote]

I love your quote, it reminds me of boot-camp. 'Pain is weakness leaving the body' and 'pain is temporary, pride is forever'... I know the first has been oft repeated, but the second was out platoon motto for the Co. C. 3/32 training division of the 29th infantry training regiment (if I remember correctly).

mukumbusu
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: judo ,bjj, goju ryu, boxing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorow im going to have my first lesson of kravmaga ,a system called krav maga survival which is develloping in europe, it is amix of the basic kravmaga techniques,kyokushin,muay thai ,ju jutsu and mma.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a bit nervous when you get mixes of this that and the other like your Krav Maga Survival, it may be really good but I wouldn't take the chance.

To me Krav Maga is an ok style as is Kippap but not seen anything that hasn't been done before. Almost everything done in the Arsenal of techniques can be found in the midst of the Pinan/Heian Kata.

Even Keysi Fighting Method is the same.

I would be more lined up to learn Pankration over KM or Kippap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: