Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

drk94
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Kumite advices Reply with quote

Hello guys,

we recently started doing kumite in our dojo, at the end of every lesson (like the last 15 minutes) and it has been very, very tough.

Against other men it's very hard cause you feel every punch/kick and it feels almost impossible to break through their guard, at least for me, i've tried doing feints, bouncing on the side etc but i just cant break their defense!

It's surely cause i'm new to fighting and i have to get the hang of it but i'm still enjoying it a lot so far.

I still don't know how to fight against women in kumite cause i'm afraid to hurt them, so i only attack them with kicks (still learning the proper technique) and i try to parry the majority of their attacks.

any advices for a white belt ?

Osu!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going to take time. There are plenty of things you can drill, and I'm sure your instructor has you drilling them, but it will still take time and practice to develop the skills and reactions you need. You'll start learning how to set up your combinations so your opponent moves their guard for you, or how to slip past it when they don't think you can. As far as sparring with women, you aren't doing them any favors by only using kicks and mostly blocking--they are there to learn martial arts too! Every person is different, regardless of gender, and some will be okay with higher levels of contact than others. Just talk with them, and maybe ask them to hit you in the arm or body as hard as they are willing to get hit, and go from there. You are still new, so you will still have to be very cautious with your control, both with men and women.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sd.bombon
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you brother, I am the same way be it men or women. I try my best not to give Hard strikes. But there are times when the other person strikes are hard, it’s like you wanna give them a hard hit as well.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things come to mind...

When you’re sparring, you’re not supposed to “try to win.” It’s a learning experience for both people. Figuring out what works for you and what doesn’t work for you. Figuring out what your partner is doing and trying to stop it, counter it, etc.; and seeing if you can incorporate it into your repertoire. If you’re trying to win, you’ll fall into a pattern of doing the same stuff every time rather than trying new things. My teachers and seniors always say you should new try things out with the seniors especially, since they’re the ones who should be the best at protecting themselves and not taking full advantage of mistakes.

And it takes a while to learn who’s who in the dojo. Some people like to hit hard and be hit hard, some like to hit but don’t want to be hit, and some don’t want to hit nor be hit. Depending on the size of the dojo, it could take a few months before you’re truly comfortable with all your sparring partners. I’m the guy most of the seniors beat up on (in a good way). They know I don’t mind getting hit, and I like to hit. They know I can handle it. They know when I’m making angry faces after I got hit that I’m frustrated with myself, and not with them. That took some time to figure out. And it took me some time to figure out who I could hit hard and who I had to go easy with.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparring is an interesting beast. I stared only about a year and a half ago. I get fairly wound up, and wear myself out pretty fast, still. At my school, lower ranked students will only spar with black belts or instructors for a few reasons - ability to not get hit/take a hit, control, and a tendency to not react as harshly when they do get hit. Even with knowing that, I still find myself apologizing if I hit whomever I'm sparring with. I also find myself shying away from aggressive attacks, even though I know the strikes being tossed my way are not likely to hurt (too much.)

As far as gender, any woman I might go against in my class would be a beast and would wipe the floor with me!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategies and sparring concepts takes time and patience to learn.

As your CI which ones are right for you to focus on for your grade and system.

The are plenty of ideas in the strategy and tactics section here on KF worth looking in to; that is why it is there to help.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to «win » is definitely not the way to approach kumite. The original purpose of sparring is that of a study in application. Ideally sparring should be practised with someone who is more capable so that one may learn from that person’s experience. It should be no different than other training drills. Feedback is also a very important part of kumite. It serves not purpose to try to beat the other person.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice, thus far!!

I'd say...

Stay at it, Kumite, that is!!

Try to not be discouraged while training Kumite!! I know, that's easier said than done! Highs and lows will occur more than you will ever imagine, and when the lows come, LEARN FROM THEM!! When the highs occur, and they will occur, don't be overly confident because being overly confident can backfire faster than a speeding bullet.

The more you engage in Kumite, and against different practitioners, the more you'll formulate, and recognize that which is incorrect and that which is correct. Only time can unleash the seasoned Kumite veteran.

What worked against one practitioner might not work on another practitioner, and again, only time can teach you how to recognize it quickly, and then adapt where you need to.

Study your opponent
Study yourself
Make a plan
Carry that plan out

This formula will race through your head a trillion times each time you step on the floor to engage in Kumite. Don't fear contact because it will happen quite often.

Remember this...Knocked down 7 times, but got up 8 times!!

Train hard and train well!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: