Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Kumite drills for beginners Reply with quote

What are some good Kumite (point style) drills for teaching beginners? Light kicks to head, punches and kicks to body, and takedowns are all practiced. I have a long list of videos that I’ll be going through on YouTube, but I enjoy what you all have to say so I’m asking here as well.

I’m looking for
- beginner friendly striking combinations
- drills for teaching foot work
- beginner friendly sparring drills

Thank you all in advance!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might not be useful but what i found worked well in a prior style was we paired up the beginners with someone more experienced - minimum of 1st kyu or similar worked well i found. We then told them, not to kill the experienced person, try just to use techniques they have been taught but come on hard and just go for it and see what feels natural. The experienced person would then defend and occasionally a light tap to the head if gloves were dropped too far / no guard etc.

This always seemed to work well as it helped some people get over the barrier of throwing strikes at people out of worry that they would hurt someone. For those who were over aggressive then it also taught them some humility to be so easily handled - and for all of them the light head taps helped reinforce the proper guard etc

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I used to work on in the past:

Cross the T: this is a matter of using footwork and techniques to get into a position where you are side on, but the opponent is not; his front is to you. From there, he has more targets open for you to go after and for him to defend, so advantage offense.

Clear with a Kick: we're kickers in TKD, so what I used to tell a student was to clear with a kick when they finish a combo. This helps to keep the opponent out of range so you can see them come back and re-engage. It also teaches them to control some space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: