Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

do you think that combat is purely a physical endaevour
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hung gar, Shaolin, Taichi, south sea fist and Raj shank astra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: I understand your point but my claim is not out of ingorance Reply with quote

I have indeed allowed my students to spar against some of the students from the top MMA and BJJ academies in South Africa as for me Ive challenged them any of them to go up against me in full contact combat but sadly when it isn't according to their mma rules they aren't willing to step up.
But yes definitely things can go wrong that's why I train my students to handle any eventuality.
Some of them excel at it others not so much but I do train my students to believe they are the best and I wont change that because to believe you are the best you have to train to be the best.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Hi I agree But my claim isn't of ignorance Reply with quote

I have allowed my students to spar against students from the top Bjj and Mma gymns in Durban SA and they are yet to be taken down. As for me I've challenged a few to fight but haven't received a response as yet. Mma fighters are only confident in Mma, matches it seems. When they don't have the security of those rules the hesitation is obviouss. I ain't saying this coz of ego, I train my kids to believe they are the best, simple reason being that ensures they train to be the best. And Il always claim they are the best until somebody proves me wrong because they deserve and have earned that from me. I do see your point but I guess our approaches are different. Much respect to you good sirs.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hi I agree But my claim isn't of ignorance Reply with quote

KALIPUTRA wrote:
I have allowed my students to spar against students from the top Bjj and Mma gymns in Durban SA and they are yet to be taken down. As for me I've challenged a few to fight but haven't received a response as yet. Mma fighters are only confident in Mma, matches it seems. When they don't have the security of those rules the hesitation is obviouss. I ain't saying this coz of ego, I train my kids to believe they are the best, simple reason being that ensures they train to be the best. And Il always claim they are the best until somebody proves me wrong because they deserve and have earned that from me. I do see your point but I guess our approaches are different. Much respect to you good sirs.

I certainly understand their hesitation. The rules in MMA are there for a reason. There's little point going to prove yourself in a fight if you end up incarcerated afterward, or if you lose and suffer serious injury.

If you want to test ideas about specific prohibitions in the MMA ruleset, consider sparring under individual variations. e.g, if you want to test the vulnerability of conventional MMA to eye gouges or want to test your ways of gaining an eye gouge, wear goggles and spar with the rule that you'll count pressure on the goggles from the thumbs as an eye gouge.
Or for throat strikes wear a throat protector as is used in some armed martial arts and agree to light/medium contact to the throat.

Get big groin guards and spar with contact to the groin.

probably best not to do all at once, too much restriction to mobility and peripheral vision and the like. Still, could be a good idea if you want to prove your point.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Indeed Sempai I Agree Reply with quote

Though I believe one has to able to take me to ground to actually test my ground fighting skill.
It hasnt happened yet.
Also with regards to Mma somebody said test them by wearing goggles, large groin guards etc to avoid seriouss injury.
My whole point is their training is not sufficient to allow them to compete with such skills and strikes allowed therefore as it is them who have to prove themselves in this situation why should we make these concessions.
The arrogance comes from them and i dont see why we should compromise on making them eat their words.
However i am open to such a competition if they are willing to nullify their tap outs and bjj locks i wont use groin strikes or eye gouges.
However if you are going to claim an art form to be full contact please have the conviction and confidence in your art to actually go all out and fight properly without 1 million rules.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Indeed Sempai I Agree Reply with quote

KALIPUTRA wrote:
Though I believe one has to able to take me to ground to actually test my ground fighting skill.
It hasnt happened yet.

Didn't you say that no one has accepted your challenge? So then the reason no one has taken you down is because no one has tried. If you want to test your takedown defenses, spar with someone and allow takedowns. you don't have to allow eye gouges and throat shots to test takedowns.

KALIPUTRA wrote:

Also with regards to Mma somebody said test them by wearing goggles, large groin guards etc to avoid serious injury.
My whole point is their training is not sufficient to allow them to compete with such skills and strikes allowed therefore as it is them who have to prove themselves in this situation why should we make these concessions.
The arrogance comes from them and i dont see why we should compromise on making them eat their words.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If you want to prove to them that they're not training right, putting on some safety gear and showing how easy it would be to stick your thumbs in their eyes should prove your point nicely. Could you rephrase this so i understand what point you're trying to make.

KALIPUTRA wrote:

However i am open to such a competition if they are willing to nullify their tap outs and bjj locks i wont use groin strikes or eye gouges.
However if you are going to claim an art form to be full contact please have the conviction and confidence in your art to actually go all out and fight properly without 1 million rules.

If you value your safety and legal security, you should not fight rule-free.
just have some friendly sparring, and demonstrate where their deficiencies lie.

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: I shall glady explain Reply with quote

While no mma fighter has agreed to fight me without rules, I have sparred against a few of them and like i said nobody has managed to take me down.
I agree wearing protective gear would probably give them the security and safety they would need to step up against me, but after everything thats been said by mma experts about traditional martial arts being inferior to them I have a bone to pick and maybe its wrong but i want to hurt some of their heroes.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I shall glady explain Reply with quote

KALIPUTRA wrote:
While no mma fighter has agreed to fight me without rules, I have sparred against a few of them and like i said nobody has managed to take me down.
I agree wearing protective gear would probably give them the security and safety they would need to step up against me, but after everything thats been said by mma experts about traditional martial arts being inferior to them I have a bone to pick and maybe its wrong but i want to hurt some of their heroes.

Both the MMA and TMA have their bad apples and unsung heroes. I can't stand it when an "MMA meathead", with his cliche' shaved head and trimmed goatee, visits my dojo and every other word out of his mouth is "TAP OUT!". Guys like these are bad apples and not representative of the MMA community as a whole. I equally can't stand TMA "Masters" that claim they and their style can beat anyone at anytime; that their method is guaranteed to work in any self-defense situation, yet their "sparring" (if they practice kumite at all) is a form of playing tag that even tournament arts would shame. This is another bad apple that does not represent the true nature of traditional martial arts.

MMA vs TMA and issues of inferiority are not the fault of MMA. Rather, the issue is the result of serious practitioners getting fed up with watered down, useless "tradition martial arts" being taught by the plethora McDojos/Belt Factories. The resulting rise in MMA is partly due to this. When people figure out that they're being sold a bill of goods, they're naturally going to look elsewhere for what they want.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a traditional martial artist. The MMA method is simply not what I'm looking for in my MA journey. However, the issues within the TMA are internal. Those of us within the TMA have the power and control to fix/improve things within our own community. We cannot control what happens in MMA, so we need to focus on ourselves and that which we can control.

IMHO, don't let the bad apple "MMA meatheads" bother you so much. When they come into my dojo (which is not very often), I respectfully and politely engage them with a smile, say to them, "Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. You're welcome to try it out anytime." They've never come back, so why do I need to let myself be bothered? If one day one of them ever did come back, then great, I get an opportunity to plant a seed and instruct them in a great martial art.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Mayhap thou art correct Reply with quote

Perhaps they are not worth getting worked up over and my attempts to provoke them into combat have obvioussly fallen on deaf ears, (in my humble opinion a sign they are all talk and no action) so yes I shall adopt the suggested approach for now.
Take care good sir.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mayhap thou art correct Reply with quote

KALIPUTRA wrote:
Perhaps they are not worth getting worked up over and my attempts to provoke them into combat have obvioussly fallen on deaf ears, (in my humble opinion a sign they are all talk and no action) so yes I shall adopt the suggested approach for now.
Take care good sir.

And you, as well...

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: I shall glady explain Reply with quote

KALIPUTRA wrote:

If you have the time, money, or desire, traveling to Brazil would, undoubtedly get you what you want. Most there will take all comers with no rules. Many other places, such as the US, it's illegal to participate in such an event. Again, you have to really care enough about "testing" your system to do that. In the end, it's probably not worth the time.

You could also try out for the Ultimate Fighter. There's rules there, so I'm not sure it would be your thing.

The one thing I don't understand is what being taken down has to do with anything?? A person can be beaten just as easily on their feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: