Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Kung-fu Reply with quote

I really see kungfu in a lot of movies now days. Is it just beacause it is not as common in the states as karate or is because it really is a superious martial art?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you give some examples ?

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a lot of the moives I've seen like, jackie chan's flicks, mostly every kind of movie out now that has a martial artist/actor in it is kung fu. I mean I even watched the matrix today and they taught them kung fu. I was watching TLC's top ten martial arts karate was second and kunfu was first. Is it really a superior martial art?

Maestro
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Traditonal Tae kwon do, Taiji Chuan (Yang)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Jet Li's too.

I would definitly not say that it is because it is a superior style (A guy could get killed on this forum for that man, don't even think it! ). I think that the reason people like it is that it is a more flowing, more circular art. Karate arts and TKD stlyes emphasize directness, getting to the target in a straight line with as much speed and power as possible. Gung Fu MA's generally have more circular arm movements, and many of the stances and movements are more eccentric, while a Karate or TKD stance generally wouldn't look a whole lot different then your average Joe. I'm a loyal TKDist myself, but I'll be the first to admit that there are a good number of Wushu stances and forms I wouldn't mind learning, just 'cause they look so cool. I think that the average movie-goer likes to see this "flair," if you will, that is more inherent in the Gung Fu styles than it is in most others.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was going to say but I couldn't really think of a way to say it. Often Kung Fu seems to look more... "extravagant". Not a good or a bad thing... like you said... just a bit more flair and eccentricity. More screen-friendly.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see, but why did TLC rank it as number 1?

Maestro
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there's another long and heated thread about that here:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5756

Basicly the conclusion there was that nobody really knows how the top ten were choosen, and it is impossible to agree on what they should be, so I'm not gonna go there again and I would suggest nobody else does either. As you can see from the old post, it just breeds argument really.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone should fund a big tornument. The best from every martial art and style vs. each other.

Maestro
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not remember ecxactly what it is called or if it even still exists, but somewhere in China they held a Kumite with no restrictions on style. This would be the same one that Frank Dux competed on and that was portrayed in bloodsport. But like I said, I don't know if it still goes on.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I mean like have tornuments inside all the differnt styles, find the best student. Then have all the best students from all the styles compete. The winnind style would go to the tornument. Then just have all of them fight. Anyway I'm going to a tornument on the 8th of march to spectate the fights between kenpo, karate(probably shudokan and shotokan) and kungfu, I do not know why they are not allowing TDK.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: