Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarguy wrote:

That's a good point because a lot of fights can be alchohoel fueled and the person is sometimes somewhat easy to stop and if they are a friend who doesnt handle drinking well the last thing you want is to harm them. That being said I think if people can't handle drinking they should refraim.

On a side note, lots of people since MMA has become popular seem to go for takedowns etc which is A good if they havent trained ma because they leave themselves open or B bad if they have experience in grappeling when you don't.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Which is why we tell our guys that grappling can be a good option when you're dealing with intoxicated friends. You don't want them trying to drive, but if all you can do is strike, you have to put a hurt on some people when they have too much alcohol. Drunks tend to come in either easy to stop, or straight out bullet proof. So, instead of beating your friend up to stop them from doing something stupid, which is still a better option, you can take them down and get to good position to stop them.

The second point you raise is pretty valid. One of our guys was training himself with youtube video and UFC fight DVDs before he started with us. He worked on basic round house kicks, shooting doubles and singles. So, ten years back, I wouldn't have worried too much about someone shooting in, a higher on the body football tackle maybe, but not a wrestling take down. Sure, against someone with actual training instead of basement work and backyard fight clubs, you don't have to have that much skill, but a good grounding in the basics will do. So, the need for grappling training is higher than it used to be. As a side note, the need for good defense against round house kicks used to be minimal. Mostly for that off case where you ran into someone with some prior training. Which wouldn't be often. Now, you get just enough guys who can sling their leg up, at least for a low kick, that checking and defending is important.

As the land scape of martial arts in the general public changes, so does the need to adapt our training.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of judo unless you live somewhere warm. Sandals, shorts, and tank tops don't seem to lend themselves to judo in my opinion. If you're an Eskimo - it's pretty much a perfect art.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
I'm a big fan of judo unless you live somewhere warm. Sandals, shorts, and tank tops don't seem to lend themselves to judo in my opinion. If you're an Eskimo - it's pretty much a perfect art.

I live somewhere warm and it hasn't hampered me any. Then again, I've modified my grips on my go-to throws to not require clothing
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Liver Punch wrote:

I live somewhere warm and it hasn't hampered me any. Then again, I've modified my grips on my go-to throws to not require clothing

The fashion in which your grips would need to be modified in order to properly execute every throw puts very ugly ideas in my head.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read that as well as Goju Ryu and Shotokan, Oyama Sosai Studied Daito Ryu Aiki-jujitsu.

There are also other sources that advise Sosai trained in Chinese Kempo too

the grappling arts in my opinion help you understand the Grappling techniques in your own style.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall hearing that there is a LEO in Alaska who has some minor fame in the jujutsu world for the pure reason that he had to modify the heck out of his techniques in order to accomodate them being used while wearing winter clothing. Apparently, all those throws and gi techniques don't work so great when you're wearing heavy gloves or fleece mittens.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
I seem to recall hearing that there is a LEO in Alaska who has some minor fame in the jujutsu world for the pure reason that he had to modify the heck out of his techniques in order to accomodate them being used while wearing winter clothing. Apparently, all those throws and gi techniques don't work so great when you're wearing heavy gloves or fleece mittens.

PMSL.......

Totally true, I suppose specific martial arts are only as good as the envirpment they are taught and used in?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a Combat Hapkido DVD titled Combat Throws, and it is a collaboration of Pelligrini and an Aikido instructor that modified some throws to be used without grabbing garments first. Like gi and no-gi grappling, good to know how to both, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: