Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I have all of the "cold hard facts now". A lot of young men get really enthusiastic about their training and tend to think that what they are doing is "best" and nothing else compares. It is common for teenagers and guys in there twenties to think they have it all figured out. I think you need to be on the planet for at least 30-40 years and if you are wise at all; you will realize how little you know, and how much you have to learn. That's why older guys make less powerful assertions. We're aware that we could be wrong so we hedge our bets a little bit.

The "style" you train in is way down on the list of factors that will determine the winner of a no holds barred fight. athleticism, strength, mental fitness, timing, confidence, speed, chin, heart, determination, flexibility, any number of God given talents, a little luck, etc., etc.

The man wins the fight not the style. Every art produces some dangerous fighters. But those guys would have been dangerous no matter what style they learned.

UselessDave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rmurray"]But those guys would have been dangerous no matter what style they learned.[/quote]

That's not so true at all. Art effects to attitude. Which in time will have an impact throughout the whole life and the more to training. When you think that one guy who's very good at one style would have started a completely another style, he might not be even close to what he is now. Of course, no one knows what precisely lead to the result. But it could be anything.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your point Dave but I don't think you should say "that's not true at all". It's not a stretch to think that the elements that make up a guy before he becomes a great Muay Thai practitioner might also make the same guy a great TKD artist.

UselessDave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rmurray, Fair enough.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: