Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Language and culture of your style Reply with quote

If you study a style native to a different country or culture, do you make the effort to study the language and / or the culture of the style too?

Maybe this includes technique names and terms but also could include conversational skills or cultural practices too.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Technique names and some basics of the language at least.

In my more arrogant and self indulgent moments I joke that I am trained to kick your *censored* in 6 different languages.

Between German, Italian, Japanese, Irish, English and a smattering of other things... it gets complex quickly.

I think it is important to understand the context in which martial arts develop, to better understand how they should be done correctly.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Some instructors (especially foreign) speak relatively little English so learning from them would be very difficult if the lingual basics are not known.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and then some!!

I can relate to this topic wholeheartedly because Soke and Dai-Soke spoke very little English; they both were masters of pointing and moving us/handing us where they wanted us to move and where not to move...and a lot of grunting. Their English never really improved, even up to their passing, and they never apologized for it once!!

In time, I learned to converse with them both fluently enough to not embarrass them whenever we traveled back to Okinawa, which was quite often. You learn a lot when you're submerged in the Okinawa culture with them both acting as guides and teachers, other than the MA side of them!!

The closer I was in their inner circle, the more I learned!!

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, when I was younger. Kind of went for the total immersion thing.

Now days, more of a yes and no. "No" in the sense I do not pursue a culture because it is related to the art I study. "Yes" in the sense I do enjoy being part of other cultures BUT because those particular cultures resonate with me on a personal level and the fact they are related to my art is just a coincidence. For example - I've spent time in Asia, half my family is from there, spent a lot of time in Buddhist temples so I feel comfortable with the Zen side of the Asian arts I've trained. Also, being from the South, I like eating good food around the fire with friends. So, the Hawaiian aspect of Kaj was pretty comfortable. On the flip, I started training GJJ, before leaving FL, and have never been remotely interested in anything Brazilian.

So... Eh, not really. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I actually gravitate towards Asian and Hawaiian arts because I relate to the culture. I don't mess with GJJ anymore, that was short lived lol

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to the question is that it depends on two things:a personal interest on the part of the martikal artist and motivation by how often that martial artist is in contact with people, especially martial artist who are of the native region and are native speakers of wherever the martial art originated.

An American who learned a Chinese system from Americans in America and has never met or trained with Chinese practicionners is very unlikely to use any Chinese except perhaps some terminology.

Personally my own experience mirrors that of Sensei8. Okinawan karate system, learned and trained mostly in Okinawa and elsewhere in Japan. In cases like this, understanding and speaking the instructor’s language and that of dojo mates is essential. Pursuing fluency beyond dojo talk was a choice that came with necessity.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make an effort to learn some japanese, haven't had an opportunity to try and learn okinawan as I haven't found anyone who speaks it here in melbourne.

We do use the Japanese terms for them; albeit we are aware that some schools use slightly different names for techniques. Example: instead of Jodan Uke (Upper Block) may use Age Uke (Rising Block) instead.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to, a little bit, but I don't so much anymore. I've studied the culture a little bit to help me understand why certain things are done, but the language I haven't really messed with much.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I think it's good perspective to get to know the culture of the country your art is from, at least how it is practiced and viewed there, the history, and relevant terminology. How Americans practice Asian martial arts can be very different.

When I first started in Tang Soo Do, it was already pretty Americanized, and eventually all the Korean masters in the association left to start their own organizations- this is a common Korean thing. We learned basic terminology and phrases, some Korean history, and a false narrative of the origins of TSD.

Years later I trained in Hapkido, from a native Korean and a founding Grandmaster, and I learned some of the phrases and pronunciation I'd learned were inaccurate. I was also exposed to some of the political infighting and arguments over history and origin stories. Looking for a new place to train as an advanced black belt, I've found American owned schools to be welcoming, but the Koreans were suspicious, and without coming out and saying it, let me know I wasn't welcome.

Outside the dojang, I learned some things like, for Koreans starting a business in the US, a Tae Kwon Do school is an option much like a laundry or produce stand. Also, Korean kids start TKD at an early age, but are generally done with it when they reach age 18.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good topic.

Now with another twist.

Having taught Chinese martial arts with Cantonese terminology, with none English speakers, that only understand Spanish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: