Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Language and Theory of self-defense Reply with quote

http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10-blog/584-10-important-things-to-know-about-violence.html

There is some length to this article, but I think the read is well worth it for the thought provoking nature of what it has to say. There are a lot of terms thrown around in self-defense training right now, three that come to mind right off, and targeted in the article, are OODA loop, Hicks Law, and awareness levels, are poorly understood. There is plenty of terminology that makes one sound knowledgeable, obfuscates what is at the heart of effective self-defense, and covers a lot of territory without getting any work done. Mr. Cowan's point about the sanitation or the language around violence and self-defense and the change that creeps into mindset because of it, I feel are valid.

So, I'll pose this question. How mindful of terms and language that you use when teaching/training for self-defense are you? Do you think the words you use while training really matter? Have you contemplated how a change of language might change the atmosphere of your training and the approach you or your students take each night?

There is a mind set/enabling aspect that I won't go into yet, but I'll expand on later that is addressed as well.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic, thanks for it.

Quote:
How mindful of terms and language that you use when teaching/training for self-defense are you? Do you think the words you use while training really matter? Have you contemplated how a change of language might change the atmosphere of your training and the approach you or your students take each night?

Say what you mean, and mean what you say!!

Imho, the world of being politically correct shouldn't, and doesn't have any bearing as to the who, what, where, when, why, and how I teach any aspect of the MA. Why? Being attacked is a serious thing, in that, everyone needs to be serious about the learning and the training of it across the board. If not, then please, just GO AWAY!!

Use whatever tool necessary to get the message across to said student(s). Without hurting any student, my approach is to get in their face.

I've no time or inclination to worry about the political correctness of any MA training. If I have to shock them into waking up, then my word, then so be it.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article ... Thanks for sharing it

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nice topic, thanks for it.

Quote:
How mindful of terms and language that you use when teaching/training for self-defense are you? Do you think the words you use while training really matter? Have you contemplated how a change of language might change the atmosphere of your training and the approach you or your students take each night?

Say what you mean, and mean what you say!!

Imho, the world of being politically correct shouldn't, and doesn't have any bearing as to the who, what, where, when, why, and how I teach any aspect of the MA. Why? Being attacked is a serious thing, in that, everyone needs to be serious about the learning and the training of it across the board. If not, then please, just GO AWAY!!

Use whatever tool necessary to get the message across to said student(s). Without hurting any student, my approach is to get in their face.

I've no time or inclination to worry about the political correctness of any MA training. If I have to shock them into waking up, then my word, then so be it.

Solid advice!
I agree completely.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words are very important when teaching SD. Especially SD because in can be complicated to be explained without complicating it further. I try to keep the language down to simple terms and expressions. Such as, be behind the weapon and not in front of it. Good post!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: