Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say leading with a cross(reverse) is risky because its easily counter. If someone came in at me with a cross and we stood in a close fighting stance(he's leading with the right side and so am I) I'll hook him with my right or roundhouse kick or drive in a front kick. I usually lead with my forward side. Its not powerful but quick, and once there's an openning I'll do a reverse punch or kick. What's your opinion?

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading with a Cross? What do you mean?

I usually lead with my forward side, but it's good to have variety. (YOu don't want to appear predictable.) It's a good idea to use your back leg, but be careful. You open yourself up. When I use the back leg, I don't use it for scoring.(except for a reverse counter-attack.) I use it either to close the distance or to set up another kick. Once I close the distance by using kicks, I end off with a back punch. It's always a good idea to follow up with punches after your kicks, if you're in range.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perfer to use front leg kicks. They are quicker and less "telegraphed." If I wanna do some damage, I'll use my back leg, but I have to be really quick.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well obviously you are not gonna lead off with a cross ALL the time.......but most fighters always expect you to lead with your lead side, when they are conditioned to that aspect then thats when you can lead with your cross

if you got a good cover you will not have to worry about your opponant countering you

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the average Joe on the street who doesn't have any martial arts training, I think it's fairly common for him to use the cross, quite a big one too! In martial artists I don't think it's common for them to open with a cross, I generally don't. A jab with the left hand is the last thing someone on the street expects .. I prefer my jab because I've drilled it constantly to develop power in the jab because it's so quick, and it's as powerful as my cross if not more powerful, heh. Prodigy makes a good point. When Mike Tyson fought George Foreman, he used his head and he realised the one thing he wasn't prepared for was the cross. He opened with a crossa lot of times and hit him, pretty insulting since it don't ya think ?

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been steering towards all my lead hands/legs because you can still develop quite considerable power in them and the speed more than makes up for the lack of power. It's always the one you don't see coming that does the damage.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is good but whaty about the big guys? What if u need a power card to really smack them out?

I love a good jab right to the nose, but the cross has so much more power and just as much speed. It's all in the hips.

Angus

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading with the rear hand is not a good idea as a common attack - but can be used to good effect if you set it up by good use of the lead hand. Make them wary fo your lead hand, then feint the lead & wham in the rear!

Feint high lead - hit with low rear, or visa-verca.

As an aside - do you differentiate between a fake & a feint? They are not the same.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leading with a cross can be a great surprize tactic. Check out lennox lewis vs. hasbeen rockman

would not do it all the time though

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lead with anything you want.... LOL.

If the cross is open by all means do it. To many of us fall into habbits that we see all the time.

I personally am a reaction fighter. I play D then counter. Thus I use the cross or revers a lot. When I am working students and play more agressive I tend to only use my lead hand.

Again to each his one. That is why it is Martial Arts and NOT Martial Science. In Art everything is right in Science only one thing can be right.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-06 23:56 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: