Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kajukembo looks similar to what we do (but more flluid... ours has a more linear/ridged Karate feel.)

Is this just combat? Or are there forms involved, too?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
The Kajukembo looks similar to what we do (but more flluid... ours has a more linear/ridged Karate feel.)

Is this just combat? Or are there forms involved, too?

There are forms in it.

The school I was at had its own because my instructor's instructor created his own style BUT Adrianno Emperado (original creator of Kajukenbo) created kata, for the art, also.

You'll see a bunch of different "versions" of Kaj, Gaylord Method, Original Method, etc. Sijo (Emperado) named NO successor so......

My understanding and experience with it is very limited (less than a year) but I was in it long enough to know it has merit. Unfortunately, it isn't really trained as rough as it used to be but what is these days, ya know.

When I was trying to get a couple guys, from work, to come to class one of them watched a video on it and the phrase he used stuck with me - it seems pretty "to the point".

There wasn't much filler, in my class, it was really just the art of hurting people as effectively and efficiently as possible. Not just in techniques, but midset, we were taught the time for de escalating and peaceful resolution was BEFORE they tried to put hands on you. After they cross that line, there was no "progression of force", you cracked the throttle wide open, your attackers well being was not a concern. High value targets were preferred.

Fun fact - Chuck Liddell is a Kaj guy.

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Kajukembo is made up of more than three different systems. It is a pool of knowledge and skills from experts of each of the components. A system of its own. It would take much more time to become proficient in one or more of the components than it might take to be comfortable with kajukembo, the synthesis of several systems.

Also, if one did take the decades to master each of the individual arts that went into creating Kaj, I think something would still be lost - the synergy. One guy who "knows" (I hate using that word) all five arts wouldn't (imho) be the same as fives guys, each knowing one, meshing them together and identifying how each compliments or detracts from the other.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Kajukembo is made up of more than three different systems. It is a pool of knowledge and skills from experts of each of the components. A system of its own. It would take much more time to become proficient in one or more of the components than it might take to be comfortable with kajukembo, the synthesis of several systems.

Also, if one did take the decades to master each of the individual arts that went into creating Kaj, I think something would still be lost - the synergy. One guy who "knows" (I hate using that word) all five arts wouldn't (imho) be the same as fives guys, each knowing one, meshing them together and identifying how each compliments or detracts from the other.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: