Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been exposed to quite a few instructor and I can tell you that they don't care about the students knowledge.
Instructors asume the role of the "all knowing person" and look a the student as a total inexperience person.
Anyway, this is the way it's been so far.

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did boxing for a while before i started karate, and i think that is why im very much into the more physical side of karate (sparring). but from the instructors that teach me... Sensei's Steve Leak, Tobias Reece, Jim Reece, Carrie Bates. sorry if i didnt mention someone who teaches me, i mean no disrespect!, i have seen any "big headedness" they are all fantastic teachers and will help me in anyway i want. thankyou very much. i dont think i can but i would hope that if i become a coach at their club (which i am hoping to become) then i would love to be able to teach them something.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good instructors or coaches learn from their students. I came from a background where the instructors were only motivated by the studenst money not by his potential. By seing the students potential you find ways of furthering your own. I have become a beter karate ka since I have been teaching, and have benfited from the excellent advice and encouragement from Sensei Steve Leak. I look forward to training every week in anticipation of what my students me.
I would also gladly swap some kata training with Tobias in return for some kumite tips.
See ya soon friends

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a further comment on my previous post nd how students can help you see the bigger picture.
Last week a new student came to my school, his Dad told him to listen to me as I was a black belt and the most important person in the dojo. I thought about what had just been said and replied. That I was not the most important person there, in fact his son was. He had the bravery and courage to take his first steps into a Karate Dojo, a completely alien environment. I had 90 minutes to find out about him excite him and motivate him to come back next week. It is not just about learning new techniques, but how poeple view things and draw their opinions. That moment helped me to see the bigger picture.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a thought provoking comment. And an interesting way to look at the dojo.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez how many people from the Reece/Leak school in Leeds are there on this forum? hehehe Just like one big happy family

Want to know if a man's ideologies are correct? See if he is happy every morning as he arises from bed.

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-12 02:44 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karateronin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More members on here than you can imagine

Steve Leak
Owner and Program Director
Steve Leaks
Karate International
Black Belt Schools (UK)

Oh Patrick checkout kibbs.com

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its amazing how many people think they have mastered an art and go out and leave martial arts behind. They think they have learnt all they can from their instructor. I look at these people and just wonder how they can throw away everything they have worked for and not give anything back to the dojo, the Sensei, or any of the other students. Its amazing. Thankfully, this is not the majority of Martial Artists. Let's hope it never does.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I AM one of the students, but I know I have given an instructor or two a new insight on something when I say "Why is it done like this?", or "can we try this?". I am a red belt in tae kwon do, yet a student who was a yellow belt in the same type of TKD transfered to our school, and already he has shown me some col stuff he learned.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I AM one of the students, but I know I have given an instructor or two a new insight on something when I say "Why is it done like this?", or "can we try this?". I am a red belt in tae kwon do, yet a student who was a yellow belt in the same type of TKD transfered to our school, and already he has shown me some cool stuff he learned.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: