Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for other Dojos but the one I go to uses a combination of MA and teaching techniques.

Initially there is a lot of Kata with heavy bag work. After you have the basics down Kumite is introduced (sparring). This helps you apply what you have learned and use it in a less structured way. Now Kumite has rules of engagement, which isn't the same as coming up against a street thug, but I think does a good job of bringing the moves learned into a real setting.

The Dojo I go to also includes Goshin Jitsu training, so when a fight or assault winds up being in close you are not as venerable.

Lastly the style of Karate I am being taught can be very deadly. We are taught in a very traditional way but some time is spent talking about the best places to strike if needed.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that in order to be a good fighter you have to have knowledge of what is around you. I study karate. I consider myself a good fighter. However I do some cross training and I have researched other styles. No one system is perfect. Knowing what to do in situations and keeping your head is what matters. Most martial arts will teach you this. The self defence application is up to you.

As for people who say grappling is better. Well not always. My art is a karate art. It has kata yes, but it also has a lot of throws and Aiki locks, strikes, and armbars. So what would you call this. It is a hybrid. Has some grappling, striking and internal in it. Its core is karate so that is why it is considered karate.

Cross Training and keeping your self metally prepared is what is good for self defense. MA is of course more than that. From my experience almost all of them teach the other great qualities.

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree BlueDragon1981. A mix is likely best all around.

The argument for grappling is the statement that all fights wind up close and on the ground. So grappling skills become important. This might be so, but we are taught precision moves meant to never let it get this far. That being said, I like the idea of having some of these grappling moves in reserve. Plus in a surprise attack you might need to know how to break free from different holds.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah something I forgot to mention my particular type of karate sparring is a big part of it.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotochem wrote:
Hey Bon, Isnt sparring just a glorified game of tag

I don't do point sparring...

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to be it !!!!!

Borzoi
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Quote Bluedragon1981

"My art is a karate art. It has kata yes, but it also has a lot of throws and Aiki locks, strikes, and armbars. So what would you call this. It is a hybrid. Has some grappling, striking and internal in it. Its core is karate so that is why it is considered karate."

Bluedragon you do not train in Karate."goshin jutsu kyo jujo"is not a type,style,form,or entity of legitimate or authentic Karate. Their is no linage in " goshin jutsu kyo jujo" to either ,Shuri-Te,Tomari-Te or Naha-Te, or any individual or groups in Japan or Okinawan.Also "goshin jutsu kyo jujo" does not conform in any manner to the biomechanics found in REAL KARATE. There are no authentic Karate kata's in " goshin jutsu kyo jujo",therefore it can not be considered as a tradition/legitimate style of Karatedo. Also to the claim that you use Aiki wrist locks is unfounded.In fact what is taught in " goshin jutsu kyo jujo" is just generic type of wrist locks and arm-bars that will not work in a real life( violent) situation.Bluedragon1981 you and all the other 'goshinist' should have the courage to face the truth and be honest with yourselves and any students that entires into your schools. In other words stop living in a fantasy world and stop living in denial ,in which you perpetuate this cult-like mentality called 'goshin jutsu kyo jujo.Their is no valid historical evidence to support any claims made by you or anyone else in the Jerry Durant camp. Jerry Durant was just an individual who trained for about 6 months then floated around for a while then decided to promoted himself to the status of a Black-Belt, end of story. Their is also a very antiintellual mentality within "goshin jutsu kyo jujo" I have never met any goshinist who has read any of the literature concerning the History, Culture,and Nomenclature of the Asian martial traditions.I find it very interesting that these goshinist who claim to be " masters of the martial arts" know absolutely nothing about the essences of Asian martial culture.

If you wish to learn about Karatedo and Budo I suggest you should start by reading.
1. Okinawan Karate by Mark Bishop
2. Any of the books by Donn Draeger.
3. Tales of Okinawan Great Master's by Shoshin Nagamine.
4. Unante by John Sells.
5. Shotokan Karate-A Percise History by Harry Cook
6. Dragon Times
7. Furyu
8. www,koryu.com
9. Bugeisha ( old issues) out of print
10. Fighting Arts International( old issues) out of print
11. JAMA

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedragon you do not train in Karate."goshin jutsu kyo jujo"is not a type,style,form,or entity of legitimate or authentic Karate. Their is no linage in " goshin jutsu kyo jujo" to either ,Shuri-Te,Tomari-Te or Naha-Te, or any individual or groups in Japan or Okinawan.Also "goshin jutsu kyo jujo" does not conform in any manner to the biomechanics found in REAL KARATE.

Does the lineage really matter? The Karate practiced today is not the same as Funakoshi taught. It has evolved and had changes over time.
What makes you an expert on the essence of REAL Karate? Does it really matter what Blue Dragon practices? He enjoys it and says he benifits from it.

This sounds like another JKA guy with a H**d On for Jerry Durant.
(Which is why I would never join the JKA)

The disscussion was supposed to be on the effectiveness of Karate, instead it is a personal attack on Blue Dragon.
Now is that"Perfection of Character"??? The essence of Real Karate??

BTW, I dont give a Rats *** about Jerry Durant.
Why do we waste time on the politics of MA? I could care less about politics.

(Just on another Rant..........)

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya wrote:
i hear karate focuses more on kata and not much fighting or conditioning. i suppose it really depends on the dojo though.

if your goal is to be able to fight and beat other styles, may i suggest muay thai or BJJ?

Well you've heard something ... but not the whole story
Karate emphasizes fighting, but this is concealed in katas
We do a lot of sparring and conditioning and my strained muscles prove this
The problem is another. The new practitioners will always have the feeling they are not doing too much. The first months in karate (Shotkan especially) are BORING But afterwards it all becomes interesting.
There are many people who think karate is not as good as other styles. For them there are other styles
My advice would be to find the the style that best suits you and then practice it. This whole problem of effectiveness of a certain style against others is juat cheap talk No style is perfect

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramymensa wrote:
no style is perfect

That's why you cross-train!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: