Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Leg grabbing Reply with quote

Ok, long story short. I'm tall with long legs and limber hip joints so it is very easy for me to generate a lot of power when I throw a roundhouse kick. We have a second degree BB at my dojo that insists on trying to grab my leg when we spar... again we are sparring, not fighting in a ring.

Option 1, which I'm not even considering, I could kick hard enough that grabbing my leg isn't an option (keep in mind my foot has already toughed his ribs or head before he grabs my leg). Option 2, grab his gi, pull him close and punch him.

What do you guys/gals think? Does anybody else do anything different to combat leg grabs without hurting the other person? For the record, bringing my other foot up to kick him in the chest is not an option... I'm 39 years old!

Wolfman08
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu and MCMAP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which I'm not even considering, I could kick hard enough that grabbing my leg isn't an option (keep in mind my foot has already toughed his ribs or head before he grabs my leg)

Personally, getting kicked hard encourages me to grab. If I can grab your kick, I neutralize that attack, and I can move closer to you, reducing your ability to kick in the first place.

Quote:
grab his gi, pull him close and punch him.

Better option.

Third option: shift your torso such that you're squared up to your opponent (that is to say, both of your shoulders are facing him/her). Then, commit all of your weight forward towards the grabbed leg. You'll break the grab and be pretty close to your opponent, which can catch them off guard.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
grab his gi, pull him close and punch him.

Better option.

Third option: shift your torso such that you're squared up to your opponent (that is to say, both of your shoulders are facing him/her). Then, commit all of your weight forward towards the grabbed leg. You'll break the grab and be pretty close to your opponent, which can catch them off guard.[/quote]

Good advice!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull guard and sweep?

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ideas, your leg is getting caught because you are telegraphing what you are doing. Although the other guy isn't fast enough to stop you from hitting him he gets you on the way back.

1. Avoid kicking high, leg shots help you avoid being grabbed.

2.To conpensate if you can't pull your leg back fast enough because he knows whats coming you can use it as part of a high/low combination, feints and fakes can also delay his reaction to your roundhouse initiation as he will be concentrating on something else.

3.If these are not options (I don't know how you guys spar you see), then closing the distance is the way to go with putting your weight onto the grabbed leg.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman08 wrote:

Better option.

Third option: shift your torso such that you're squared up to your opponent (that is to say, both of your shoulders are facing him/her). Then, commit all of your weight forward towards the grabbed leg. You'll break the grab and be pretty close to your opponent, which can catch them off guard.

This is what I'd do. Weight forward and push whilst hands are up ready to punch as you close the distance. He's either got to let go to cover up and protect himself or get hit and risk crashing to the floor too.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman08 wrote:

This is typically the method I use if anyone catches my kicks (although that doesn't happen too often, thankfully!) and it helps me get into clinching range where I can throw people, so I rather like it when that happens
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, once you've got trap-age going on, you're in a tough spot.

Start by getting close, I like under hooking the trap side arm. Drive the leg forward to facilitate this. Bend the knee and wrap the top of the foot to the front of his quad. This configuration helps lock in some balance. That and the underhook give you options. Head will post in his neck socket area of the grab side. Push his head away with this, it will help prevent a lot of takedown efforts, primarily the step thru sweeps.

Be ready for trips to start coming in.

I always try to immediately get the foot down to the ground. You can use the underhook to drive the counter force. Drop the hips to assit. Getting your feet under your base is way better than striking without base or giving up position.

That being said, I'll always look for guard if it looks like I am going down, or losing options, or getting pummeled. At least from guard I can control distance.

JCavin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use feints...

Kick him in the leg a few times to get him blocking low. Then kick him higher.

Work on pulling your leg back faster so he doesn't have a chance to grab it. You have to think that the BB is also working on his own skills. The benefit is that it shows you that you are hanging your foot up there too long.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent food for thought. Thanks everyone. I think I will try kicking faster while using some of your suggestions if I get caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: