Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
At karate training tonight(26th October 2K1) I was coaching for the first lesson, not much training done there except for choku zuki punching in Keiba Dachi.

I was in the second lesson training with my legs and kicks.Here is a list of what we did!

1) there were various squares chalked onto the floor in white.

2)we had to grab a partner and count the amount of kicks we could do on each leg without dropping the chamber of our kick.

3) then we changed leg and did the same on the other side.

4) we did this with 3 kicks,
- Mae Geri (front kick)
-Yoko Geri Kiagi (side snap kick)
-Mawashi Geri (roundhouse kick)

On the way back home I found that my legs were tightening up, This is a sign of leg conditioning and muscle growth.

Has anybody done something similar, If so what did it involve.

Thanx a lot guys!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did all the stuff about Track and field running into our Karate Kumite. We changed our stance to that of a runner. Totally felt the burn.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do slow leg extensions in out training which are awesome muscle workouts ...front kick - lift your right knee up with your body upright at all times and never leaning, and then extend your lower leg slowly till your whole leg is parallel to the ground, pause a second, and then retract to knee up position and then turn your lower leg up sideways and extend to side kick position. Now keep your upperbody upright (hard for beginners but you'll find that keeping your body upright in real life fights is a must if you want to survive ... you can easily bring your leg down as opposed to being off balance and having your legs swept out from under you), you should attempt to hold the leg as high as possible by flexing your hip/butt muscle. Now you can pause as long as you want for this one until you go numb because this position is the best for developing the muscles needed to generate hip power when doing aerial kicks. Then retract and bring your knee back up in front of your chest and then lean forward while simutaneoously delivering a slow back kick, hold the position, arch your back up using the lower back muscles and if you want twist your upperbody slightly anti clockwise so youre looking over your left shoulder while you're right leg is up in the air so you can see your foot (for balance)... then retract and do again with the same leg or left leg. The key is to do these continuously, one right one left or 10 right 10 left. You will help your stretching and balance somewhat. Eventually if it becomes too easy lets say you can do 100 in one go really slow or keep your side kick leg up 10 minutes, use an ankle weight. You'll find that the result is that your kicking will be really fast so this combined with kicking the bag , endurance and power training ... it will give you power and speed and air superiority and your kicks will be so fast that when your opponent is half way executing, you'll have landed your attack.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent methods of leg training there guys, I agree with what both of your methods are and am considering trying them in my own time, Thanx.

Cya!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting technique Kickchick. I will give it a try. Except I may need to hang on to something for balance (mine is atrocious).
I think I will still get the strength benefits from the exercise. And if I am just next to something to grab I WILL work balance too.

Goose
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickchick, will that excercise help to improve balance? As I could do with something to help me with my balance (especially with side kicks).

[ This Message was edited by: Goose on 2001-11-17 15:32 ]

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moobrack wrote:
Hey guys,
At karate training tonight(26th October 2K1) I was coaching for the first lesson, not much training done there except for choku zuki punching in Keiba Dachi.

Just that? For a whole training session?
moobrack wrote:
I was in the second lesson training with my legs and kicks.

On your profile I see you are a SHODAN. Haven't you done this stuff yet?
moobrack wrote:
On the way back home I found that my legs were tightening up, This is a sign of leg conditioning and muscle growth.

It's quite normal and perhaps you've experienced it before. I usually go home on my bike and wearing some tight jeans, that after training almost can't fit me anymore

In our dojo we do this stuff often. Standing on one leg and doing mae-geri, mawashi geri, yoko-geri and sometimes even ushiro-geri. We must do 30 kicks without touching the floor with the kicking leg, in order to improve ballance. If we touch the ground before finishing those 30 kicks ... we do 50 squats (hope this is the way to write it. Sorry, English is a foreign language.)

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the first thing - when i say training i mean practise - cos i coached i only really got to practise choku tsuki properly in myself.

The second thing - train also means practise - it was for basic excercise and leg strengthening

u spk very good english even if it is ur second or third language!

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you moonbrack for the answers and of course for making me feel soooooo good by telling me my English doesn't stink that much
It's hard when you have to take care of all things in dojo and thus your training has to suffer.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes without saying that your balance will surely improve with the examples of leg training exercises posted above. The ability to balance on one leg is one thing but being able to balance yourself on that one leg and fire out several powerful kicks in succession is quite another!

And ramymensa ... your English is wonderful. Do stop by Introductions and tell us more about practicing martial arts (shotokan) in Romania.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: