Add KarateForums.com
Nominate Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
A police officer once told my dad that if you shoot someone in your front/back/side yard, drag them inside the house, then call the police, not beforehand.

I hate that advise. Then they can get you for tampering with a crime scene. The "old" way saved them paperwork. Now the crime scene guys would get their undies in a bunch.

If deadly force was justified in the living room, it will still be justified when he bleeds out on the lawn.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

Lets take a scenario for instance. I thug has a knife in his pants but doesn't feel like he needs it. The thug thinks he can thump you a bit but then you announce you're a black belt... what do you think happens next? What if he has friends or a gun. You loose all advantage once you open you're mouth and utter those words. Kinda like saying just shoot me.

Yep. That's why we have a different interpretation of 'fighting stance' depending on whether we're sparring or practicing self defence.

Taking it to the extreme, I'm reminded of my old aikido teacher (he made aikido practical by incorporating his military experience). It was comical to see. A huge tank of a man retreating backwards with his hands up pretending to cry with blind panic, to lull his 'attacker' into a deeper sense of security and superiority, so that when he bounced in and took the (wooden) knife and applied an arm bar, the attacker would be totally taken by surprise.

We don't have self defense classes per-say but this is what I have been taught as well. Keeping your hands up protects you and allows you to counter quickly. The other advantage is that all onlookers see that you are not the attacker. If you instantly make fists and get into a "fighting stance" you may be mistaken for the attacker or appear to be initiating and force the thug to attack. Either way IMHO it's not a smart move. You put the attacker on the defensive immediately and escalate the situation.

If the guy feels that you're not a threat and does attack you have the advantage of being able to position yourself for a quick counter that they will not be prepared for. If you come off like you're ready to fight they will be on guard and you'll loose this advantage.

The other benefit is they do not feel threatened and you may be able to talk them down prior to it escalating.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
A police officer once told my dad that if you shoot someone in your front/back/side yard, drag them inside the house, then call the police, not beforehand.

I hate that advise. Then they can get you for tampering with a crime scene. The "old" way saved them paperwork. Now the crime scene guys would get their undies in a bunch.

If deadly force was justified in the living room, it will still be justified when he bleeds out on the lawn.

I agree; this is just bad advise. Was it perhaps said in a joking manner?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I agree; this is just bad advise. Was it perhaps said in a joking manner?

Nope, my dad says the cop was dead serious!! My dad rejects, as do I, that cops advice. Not that this matters, but the circa was 1981.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police are there to enforce the laws and arrest those who disobey them. It is not reasonable for a citizen to expect each and every officer to have more than basic working knowledge of criminal laws. If one really wants sound advice, better get it from professionals whose specialty is to interpret and explain the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Self Defense All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: