Add KarateForums.com
Five Years on Staff! JR 137 and Nidan Melbourne
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

mazzybear
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 30 Oct 2013
Posts: 675
Location: Scotland.
Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Leslie Smith's Exploding Ear, UFC 180 Reply with quote

I didn't actually watch the fight live, but saw highlights afterwards. I have to say it's up there in my top 5 "eeeeww" moments in UFC. Jessica Eye threw a pretty sweet punch which caused the injury, or did she? From some angles it looks like she may have caught the ear with her thumb causing it to rip, it certainly wasn't deliberate if she did, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed with her comments after the fight "When I connected and saw her ear blow up, that became my main target.
"I was going to keep hitting it until they stopped the fight or it fell off"
Now I get these guys keep fighting to the end but to purposely try and get somebody's ear off, to me is pretty despicable. Am I being overly sensitive? Possibly. But then again, she knows the fight was over then, why not keep going but target a different area until the fight was officially stopped? It's not like it's just a wee cut, it's a serious injury IMO, and to target it in such a way, well, it's pretty cold.
What's everybody's thoughts, do you agree with how Eye targeted the ear, or do you think she should've changed tactic till the fight was stopped?



Mo.
_________________
Be water, my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 520

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And her comments demonstrate why my favorite fighters are the GSP's and Machida's of the world. I am not a fan of the "tough guy" fighter that competes just to beat people up. I hate the cocky "dude bro" type fighters. I like the MARTIAL ARTISTS that also happen to make a living fighting in the cage. They always respect their opponents and the well being of their opponents.

Jessica's comments irked me.
_________________
Seek Perfection of Character
Be Faithful
Endeavor
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 15327
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that surely wasn't the thing to say. Yes, it's of the moment, but professionalism would have served better. Also, why fights continue when things like this occur, still baffles me to no end. It's a competition!! It's not life and death. Crowds drive the intensity of the whole darn thing. It's why people slow their car down to a crawl so that they can stare at any horrific accident.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 520

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought as I was driving home from lunch thinking about this thread. I love martial arts for a few reasons. One is that I love the "art" and philosophical benefits I get from it. Another is that I love the confidence that it gives me. Another is that I love the physical benefits of practicing my art. And the final one is that I enjoy knowing that I can defend myself if the need arises. But never have I walked into a dojo and trained with the mindset of enjoying the ability to hurt someone else. And far too many of these MMA fighters enjoy that aspect of it.

I would easily be able to hurt somebody if my life or the life of my loved ones was at stake, but not for competition. I feel badly if I hurt someone accidentally while training. I'm by no means "soft", but I just don't enjoy hurting others. Which is why I love seeing the loudmouth "tuff guys" in MMA get defeated.
_________________
Seek Perfection of Character
Be Faithful
Endeavor
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6382
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: splitting the ear open is one way they treat cauliflower ears, got to drain all the excess fluid and relieve the pressure.

I am split about her comments. Whilst on the one hand it is not becoming of a sportsperson to seek to seriously damage their fellow opponent, it is what a warrior would do. Identify your opponent's weakness then exploit it to end the fight. Yes it is sport but they are also practicing martial arts.

To be honest this is why you have referees, to safeguard competitors and to stop the fight should something like this happen. Maybe I'm going against the consensus here but I don't blame Eyes for her attitude. It's not what I would do but if she really wants to win, it's a valid tactic.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 12 Apr 2014
Posts: 548

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
And her comments demonstrate why my favorite fighters are the GSP's and Machida's of the world. I am not a fan of the "tough guy" fighter that competes just to beat people up. I hate the cocky "dude bro" type fighters. I like the MARTIAL ARTISTS that also happen to make a living fighting in the cage. They always respect their opponents and the well being of their opponents.

Jessica's comments irked me.


I second this post !!!
GSP and Machida - two of my favorites !!!
_________________
To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 12 Apr 2014
Posts: 548

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Yeah, that surely wasn't the thing to say. Yes, it's of the moment, but professionalism would have served better. Also, why fights continue when things like this occur, still baffles me to no end. It's a competition!! It's not life and death. Crowds drive the intensity of the whole darn thing. It's why people slow their car down to a crawl so that they can stare at any horrific accident.




I completely agree but the problem is that referees are human too. I've seen fights stopped way too early and have seen fights allowed to go far too long.
_________________
To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 15327
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Yeah, that surely wasn't the thing to say. Yes, it's of the moment, but professionalism would have served better. Also, why fights continue when things like this occur, still baffles me to no end. It's a competition!! It's not life and death. Crowds drive the intensity of the whole darn thing. It's why people slow their car down to a crawl so that they can stare at any horrific accident.




I completely agree but the problem is that referees are human too. I've seen fights stopped way too early and have seen fights allowed to go far too long.

It's a fine line to walk. What's one to do?



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

mazzybear
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 30 Oct 2013
Posts: 675
Location: Scotland.
Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel badly if I hurt someone accidentally while training. I'm by no means "soft", but I just don't enjoy hurting others. Which is why I love seeing the loudmouth "tuff guys" in MMA get defeated.


I 100% agree with this, I'm exactlty the same. If I have to hurt someone, I can, but it doesn't make me feel good.

Quote:
I am split about her comments. Whilst on the one hand it is not becoming of a sportsperson to seek to seriously damage their fellow opponent, it is what a warrior would do. Identify your opponent's weakness then exploit it to end the fight. Yes it is sport but they are also practicing martial arts.


I can see your point, but to the print in bold, yes, it's what a warrior would do, but, are these guys warriors in the true sense of the word? IMO, no, they're not. Others may disagree, but I see them simply as fighters/sportspeople. These guys are paid vast sums of money from the fight purse itself and from individual sponsorships. They are role models to millions around the world and I think they have a responsibilty to act accordingly. Again this is just my opinion and others may see it differently.



Mo.
_________________
Be water, my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28800
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leslie Smith's Exploding Ear, UFC 180 Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
I didn't actually watch the fight live, but saw highlights afterwards. I have to say it's up there in my top 5 "eeeeww" moments in UFC. Jessica Eye threw a pretty sweet punch which caused the injury, or did she? From some angles it looks like she may have caught the ear with her thumb causing it to rip, it certainly wasn't deliberate if she did, but I have to say I was pretty disappointed with her comments after the fight "When I connected and saw her ear blow up, that became my main target.
"I was going to keep hitting it until they stopped the fight or it fell off"
Now I get these guys keep fighting to the end but to purposely try and get somebody's ear off, to me is pretty despicable. Am I being overly sensitive? Possibly. But then again, she knows the fight was over then, why not keep going but target a different area until the fight was officially stopped? It's not like it's just a wee cut, it's a serious injury IMO, and to target it in such a way, well, it's pretty cold.
What's everybody's thoughts, do you agree with how Eye targeted the ear, or do you think she should've changed tactic till the fight was stopped?



Mo.


I don't have an issue with it. If it was that serious of an issue, then the other person should have stopped fighting and gave up, or the corner should have thrown in the towel. If I was in a fight, and I think I broke the other guy's rib, I'd keep going after that rib until the fight was over. Competitions like this are fought to be won. As long as its within the rule set, then fight to win. Perhaps it does sound like her tactics were pretty cold, but the individuals who can step into the ring like this to fight like this aren't necessarily like the rest of us.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >