Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO ONE REGISTERES YOU AS A DEADLY WEAPON! THE MINUTE YOU TRAIN, BY LAW YOU BECOME ONE. NO PAPER WORK BUT IF THEY FIND OUT YOU TRAIN YOU WILL HAVE MUCH MORE PUNISHMENT. LIKE AN INCIDENT WHEN A BOXER BEAT A GUY TO DEATH IN A BAR FIGHT, HE WAS SENT TO PRISON FOR LIFE BECAUSE HIS HANDS WERE LETHAL WEAPONS BECAUSE OF HIS TRAINING! NO ONE HAS TO REGISTER YOU!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get your blackbelt certification, you are registered w/ that organization. If something happens and the law does get involved, they could use that against you. I also know that when you hurt someone (self defense or not) they can easily charge you with a higher offense. IE instead of having an assault charge, it's assault w/ a deadly weapon. There is also something about not being able to use a higher force, ie if someone attacks you with a fist and you have a tree branch, they could punish you for using more force than necessary to subdue an attacker. Of course it's more relevent if you use a knife/sword or gun against someone who is using fists to attack you.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes down to only using forces necessary to control the situation. If a drunk guy bumps into you and says he's gonna kick your butt, you better not crush his windpipe unless you are prepared to be in court. Now if he's about to cut you up with a broken bottle, then you can tee off with your driver, if you know what I mean. Laws vary from state to state, country to country.

Prodigal Son
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: wing chun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about control. If you are just an untrained punter who hurts someone badly enough to warrant the po-lice getting involved, then you can say "I didn't mean it - I was scared and it just happened..." and you may just get away with it.

If, on the other hand, they search your house and find the books, punchbags, weapons, jong etc that we all have - or for some weird reason you actually ADMIT to being a martial artist (in which case you deserve to go to jail for being so stoopid) - then they will argue that you knew perfectly well what you were doing - and in the eyes of the law you will be one who fights for pleasure and therefore dangerous to society. Don't pick up the soap.

And another important point - no doubt off topic but I feel it is relevant anyway - is keeping MA weapons in the home. If, like many of us, you keep a Katana by your bed, or nunchuks, baseball bat etc, and in self defense you do an intruder with it - you must tell the police that you firstly "got it from the closet in the spare bedroom" coz you were SO afraid. If you admit to keeping it handy for just the proper occasion, you'll go to jail. At least in the UK.

Anyway - I think the story of "My hands are registered as deadly weapons" is one of the oldest boasts in martial arts. Just for a laugh, go to the po-lice station and see what they say when you apply to register your iron fists...

>>>PS<<<

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the police station to register my hands like you said. They made an appointment at the asylum for me-I presume thats where you register weapons because I've never heard that word before *twitches nervously* anyway..i'll let you know how it goes.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm they say I should be committed, I told them I already am, have been for five years since I started training...

Anyway the UK law says you may use reasonable force to defend yourself-there is nothing in the law that is harsher on MA's, that is purely down to the judge/jury. So if you do end up in court for dragon kicking someone/killing them with a kiai you'd better hope there's a MA on the jury board.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20 year-old ends up in a fight with a 10-year-old and hurts him... the court may look on him with disfavor because they odl that he should have been able to protect his safety wihtout such injury.

A 250-lb body-builder gets into a fight with a 90lb soccer mom; same story.

A martial artist fights a non-martial artist.. again same story.

Unfortunately, thanks to hollywood (and Hong Kong) there's a popular perception that a martial artis can disarm 5 knife-wielding attackers and their pit-bulls with ease.. so if you hurt anyone, it must be because you wanted to; not because you needed to.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to Martial Arts and Politics

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 hits a 10 he will get in big troule because he was a minor and the 20 was an

StoneSkin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no doubt that would be the ultimate ego booster having a certificate on your wall that says you are a registered weapon. Hmmm I wonder where i can get one.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: