Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Lethal Weapon? Reply with quote

I don't think it's fair that if you fight in a dojo or are a boxer or marine or in some kind of fighting art and you kill someone one or injure them in a self defense situation you get in way more trouble because your hands are registered as a lethal weapon. My grandpa was in the marines and is registered in his hands as lethal weapons.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to register your hands as a lethal weapon.
Apparently it's an urban myth. If you do indeed know of somewhere that requires you by law to register your hands as lethal weapons, please let us all know where and any accompanying information.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no you don't have to register them, if you train in fighting they become registered you don't have to do anything it's just the law.

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't believe you. Are you saying that when you train at a martial arts school the instructor registers your hands with the police?

Tell me where this happens.

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate 4 life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv herd of this, i think its all *, i dont belive it

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

major_motoko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate. Kobudo, Iaido

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sansoouser wrote:
no no you don't have to register them, if you train in fighting they become registered you don't have to do anything it's just the law.

I think what you mean is if you tell the police after the event that you used martial arts to defend yourself, the law is much harder on you. Or if they find out you are registered at a MA club/org or something?

There was a story about a year ago here in England about a teenage girl who was a black belt in Judo. She got picked on in the park by a gang of boys who started to push her around. She beat up the whole lot of em!
But then she got taken to court and her black belt was used as evidence against her - even tho it was HER who got attacked!! I think the boys sued her or something

Those kinds of stories make me really mad

motoko

Bart the Lover
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major_motoko wrote:
Quote:
There was a story about a year ago here in England about a teenage girl who was a black belt in Judo. She got picked on in the park by a gang of boys who started to push her around. She beat up the whole lot of em!

I love stories like this. It's terrible she was attacked, but I would love to
have seen the looks on their faces!

Quote:
But then she got taken to court and her black belt was used as evidence against her - even tho it was HER who got attacked!! I think the boys sued her or something

I don't love stories like this. How depressing. Did they win?

major_motoko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate. Kobudo, Iaido

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I really can't remember the outcome of that.. I'll look into it and see if I can find some archived news stories about the incedent.

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few stories like this. It's not (at all) that you are "registered as a lethal weapon", but the legal system treats you less leniently if you end up in court as a result of defending yourself - they argue as a "Martial Arts Expert" you should be able to deal with your attackers without causing injury!!!!!

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definition of a deadly weapon varies in different countries, but in Canada it is essentially anything that could feasably be used to kill a person. Although almost anyone could probrably beat a person to death, the courts decide based on how easy they think it would be for you to kill a person with your hands/feet/whatever you used. If you are a black belt in nearly any martial art, it's not unreasonable for the courts to consider your hands deadly weapons. As far as most courts are concerned, it's either deadly or not - if you could kill a person with it feasably, they consider it deadly. If you couldn't feasably kill a person with it, then it isn't considered a deadly weapon.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: