Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Lightweight vs. Heavyweight dobok for Taekwondo Reply with quote

I've trained in Kuki-TKD for most of my career. Back in the 80s, heavier weight duck canvas and other types of heavy dobok were very popular. With every kick or punch, the material would make a great pop sound. They even used to make KKW v-neck dobok in heavy canvas.

Today, the thinking is lightweight (or even ultra lightweight) dobok marketed to fighters.

How many of you have trained using both heavy and light styles? Which do you prefer to train in? How many of you have only tried one type or the other?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school uses the Japanese-style uniform, and I've trained in light, middle and heavy weight versions. I definitely prefer the middleweight the most (somewhere around 10 oz.) It feels sturdy, looks good and does pop from time to time.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

stoneheart
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kumite specific gi that I use for sparring classes. It's loose and feels almost like I am wearing nothing which is fantastic for moving around with abandon.

For normal classes that have a blend of everything, I prefer a heavy uniform which absorbs sweat and can handle a bit of light grappling.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
My school uses the Japanese-style uniform, and I've trained in light, middle and heavy weight versions. I definitely prefer the middleweight the most (somewhere around 10 oz.) It feels sturdy, looks good and does pop from time to time.

I go with middleweight too. I hate those free uniforms they give out when you sign up. Some of them are practically see through. Heavyweight ones are just too heavy. I wear a Shureido middleweight (K-11). It’s the perfect balance of weight and lightness.

I used to like that snapping sound. I don’t care either way anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: