Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Lion's Den Fighter in Knife Fight Reply with quote

Ran across this during my internet ramblings:

http://www.cagepotato.com/awesome-story-of-the-day-guy-mezger-saved-a-woman-from-knife-wielding-scumbag-last-month/

I think there are a lot of good points to bring out in this. One being the unexpected nature of a knife being produced and the effects of the adreniline dump to keep one going if you're mindset is acceptably combative.

We can learn from this too in the sense that follow up control might have been useful. We, as in the martial arts community, often talk about dropping someone and escaping. Obviously this wasn't the case here, and might not be for a lot of people that have to deploy their skills.

Maybe it's the LEO in me talking, but it bears repeating for everyone. If you've seized an advantage and can't leave, maybe attaining a good, dominating posture on the opponant is warranted while he's out.

It's a point to consider that get's overlooked repeatedly.

Great outcome on this one, great tactics by an excellent fighter. Let's all learn from it not just high five over it. At least it should spark some thought and discussion for those who really look at the possibilities of being involved in an altercation.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to see a small blade, but they can do some damage. I saw the cut another place- no link you sick little monkeys. It was pretty nasty.

Yes, a good control could be a good idea. It would be good for the guy to wake up with someone ready to make his fingers touch his elbow if he moved.

Also, don't let the person you're rescuing out of your sight. They'll stab you as soon as the abuser will.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on Mezger, im suprised he didn't try to foot lock the attacker

All kidding aside, even when things turn out ok like in this instance, there is rarely a situation where the defender does everything perfect, luckily no one was injured more severely.

And yes i agree that if i knock someone out and can't escape, its propably a good idea to make sure they wake up in something very very painful.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did 90% of the right things and still got lucky had that knife been a gun, the ending wouldn't be so good. Don't forget: Control, control, control!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article. I can see where controlling this guy until police showed up would have likely saved him the knife injury.

Here's a thought. In the narrative, Mezger mentioned the guy couldn't fight very well, and that he outweighed him considerably. Is it possible that he didn't take this threat as seriously as he should have? I can see where it would be eay not to; outweighing the opponent, knowing the experience he has had himself in the ring, along with all his training. Mezger also mentioned how as he held onto the attacker, he made futile attempts to hit him, until which he point he just became irriated and tossed the guy.

So after scrape one, he knows the guy has no skills. At that point, is it possible he just didn't take the threat seriously enough, which resulted in him getting slashed?

I'm not trying to bring this guy down, or call him out on ego or anything like that; far from it. We review these for reasons like this, so I just wanted to see other thoughts on it.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Good article. I can see where controlling this guy until police showed up would have likely saved him the knife injury.

Here's a thought. In the narrative, Mezger mentioned the guy couldn't fight very well, and that he outweighed him considerably. Is it possible that he didn't take this threat as seriously as he should have? I can see where it would be eay not to; outweighing the opponent, knowing the experience he has had himself in the ring, along with all his training. Mezger also mentioned how as he held onto the attacker, he made futile attempts to hit him, until which he point he just became irriated and tossed the guy.

So after scrape one, he knows the guy has no skills. At that point, is it possible he just didn't take the threat seriously enough, which resulted in him getting slashed?

I'm not trying to bring this guy down, or call him out on ego or anything like that; far from it. We review these for reasons like this, so I just wanted to see other thoughts on it.

The article says that this is the fourth time the poor man has sustained a knife injury. I think that if there is one thing we can learn from this, it's that fighting someone who has a knife is risky even for a professional fighter.

Maybe it's even more risky for someone so accustomed to fighting in the ring. What if fighting people fair and square all the time conditions you to not keep a look out for weapons? Maybe he expected the ring-side doctor, ref, coaches and commentators to step in once he had knocked the fellow out.

I know that sounds ridiculous but I release immediately when someone taps out on a subconscious cue, I don't see why he might not have a similar cue for after someone is knocked out and seemingly harmless.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
I know that sounds ridiculous but I release immediately when someone taps out on a subconscious cue, I don't see why he might not have a similar cue for after someone is knocked out and seemingly harmless.

I've always wondered about how useful any type of "conditioning" on the part of any one who trains using the tap out might work in self-defense. If someone slapped a choke hold on me some night while I am working, and am caught in a bad way, I may try to tap out, just to see if they will release.

Who knows? It might work.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 brought up a good point about ego. useing ego as an advantage. If a person feels superior, they tend to leave themselves wide open.

Mezger was lucky, I am glad it turned out the way it did and no serious injury.

Romethemighty
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, MMA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 you are totally correct, training situations stick in your head, we should all be aware of the tapout mentality and remember these situations are not that friendly!

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to learn from that I know how he feels from experience. I was stabbed 7 times in the back by the guy i was fighting with's best friend. At the time I just thought he was punching me in the back, but later after it was over my friends and i were celebrating and i passed out, only to wake up in a hospital icu 6 days later.. Yes knives are very scary and we should all take precaution with approaching an assailant whether we see one or not!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: