Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naihanchi Shodan -- it is the answer to everything!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a kata... Reply with quote

LastKing wrote:
Which is suitable to teach a 10 year old.
She's really good, the best probably I've seen in our club. But our katas are all non-standard and pretty much invented. I want her (and the rest of our club) to learn some real kata, but more specifically, I want to teach her one which is more feminine, and includes a jump. Not too long, not too complex, but pretty.
Any ideas?

Years ago I was researching Okinawan Kata and where they came from. I had come across a Kata, I think Shito Ryu if memory serves me, that was specifically created for women by the name of Aoyagi. I ended up google searching it because I could not remember the exact name and whether it contain jump. It does not have the jump you are looking for but if you're looking specifically for a Kata created for women I'd say this is a good fit. Or at least meets the criteria.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito kai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions

How long has she been studying and would you say she compares to a mahiro takana or a level you see at a wkf junior competition? You can YouTube several wkf junior examples to see different kata at different levels of ability.

Since your style is non traditional would you be willing to take a traditional kata and add a jump into the kata?

Probably not affable to for privacy reasons but is there a published video of your student doing kata to give us an idea of how she moves, her strengths and weaknesses?

There have been several good suggestions but i hesitate to suggest a kata without know more. The kata could be anything from a jitte to a papuren

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:
A few questions

How long has she been studying and would you say she compares to a mahiro takana or a level you see at a wkf junior competition? You can YouTube several wkf junior examples to see different kata at different levels of ability.

Since your style is non traditional would you be willing to take a traditional kata and add a jump into the kata?

Probably not affable to for privacy reasons but is there a published video of your student doing kata to give us an idea of how she moves, her strengths and weaknesses?

There have been several good suggestions but i hesitate to suggest a kata without know more. The kata could be anything from a jitte to a papuren

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF, luv2flyjrn; glad that you're here!! Please visit the "Introductions" forum, and please tell us about yourself. Thanks!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your description, it sounds like you mostly want something that would be challenging but "fitting" for her, which would be fun/cool to practice. I know Pinan/Heian Godan has been mentioned, but honestly I think Enpi would probably be more fun for her. You could always just add a jump to another kata, but I know you were looking into steering things back toward your Shotokan roots.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Given your description, it sounds like you mostly want something that would be challenging but "fitting" for her, which would be fun/cool to practice. I know Pinan/Heian Godan has been mentioned, but honestly I think Enpi would probably be more fun for her. You could always just add a jump to another kata, but I know you were looking into steering things back toward your Shotokan roots.

I was going to suggest Empi-Sho as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: