Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Mykaratejourney
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Looking for advice on a new GI Reply with quote

Hi everyone !

I'm looking at getting a new Gi, and at the moment am torn between the Seishin GI or TOKAIDO WKF YAKUDO

Any advice or recommendations are welcome!

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very disappointed with the Seishin. It's a so so dogi with very good marketing. I'd go for the Tokaido.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, Mykaratejourney; glad that you're here!!

Tough choice; boils down to preference.

Tokiado; a proven quality Gi in its cut and endurance, and I love the half sizes, which the Seishin doesn't. Price wise, well, the Tokiado WKF Yadudo is about $230 USD, while the Seishin Gi is about $270. They each are WKF approved and they each promote different advantages in respect to size, weight, and extras.

Might require you to flip a coin!!

Good luck, and please let us know what you decided.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t seen the Seishin gi, but a few people here weren’t happy with theirs. There are a few threads on it.

The Tokaido Yakudo is I believe Tokaido’s top Japanese made gi. It used to be called/referred to as “the ultimate.” It’s a great gi. So long as it fits you right, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if you can afford it.

I wear a Shureido K-11. It’s a little lighter (Tokaido has a comparable weight gi). My reason for getting that one over the comparable Tokaido is fit. Tokaido is more like a “slim fit” whereas Shureido is more like a regular cut/fit gi. I’m not a slim guy, so Tokaido never fit me right. A good friend and former training partner had a Tokaido Ultimate way back when, and let me try it out for a class. Shureido and Tokaido are both the same quality IMO. People argue which is better, but if there were no labels, I’d honestly think they were the same company with different cuts for different body styles. Tokaido is a tall and thin person’s gi, whereas Shureido is a stocky person’s gi.

All IMO.

Mykaratejourney
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcome! And all the advice. I will continue doing some research and let you know what I decide on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: