Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich98 wrote:
No not at all, I just don't have the energy. I can just about stay awake half the time

Maybe in the near future if I change jobs and start to take it a little easier but as the main earner, gotta get those hours in to pay the bills.

My friend, I would consider trying a session; I know what you are saying about you being tired, however I don't think you can truly get the feeling unless you get stuck-in.

Rich98
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure on the full details but I believe the Sensei has a full time job that prevents him being there very often. He also has a second dojo so any spare time he has is spread between the two I guess. Last time I saw him was at the start of the month though I think that he was there to collect membership money.

Its sort of frustrating because when I went for the initial interview and trial I got the impression he ran the lessons and would be there a lot. It wasn't until the next few weeks that I discovered that he only really ran 2 maybe 3 lessons a month.

As a side note we got back from a meeting and trial run at the new dojo this morning and wow what a difference. It was far more structured and Sensei was really great guy, he got my two engaged almost immediately. They actually said they never want to go back to the other place soon as we got out lol. I'm so happy to see my youngest get that spark after being put off.

I also noticed the Sensei was fairly strict, soon as the little ones started messing about it was push-up and crunches all round. Though to be honest I prefer that, will hopefully help with discipline.

And I'm sure I'll give it a go at some stage, I think I'll see how this new place works out over the next few months and look at get a on and off membership depending on how work is.

Must say cheers again guys!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it would behoove him if he appointed someone to be the CI, and he can just manage the dojo, seeing that he's hardly there. Possibly someone in the style nearby that qualifies to become the CI would be interested in that. Someone has to be there because he's not there.

Again, I'd go somewhere else; this isn't an ideal situation, imho!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. There is no point going to a dojo if the instructor one wishes to learn from is not teaching on a regular basis, especially if said instructor is supposed to be the MAIN instructor. This kind of situation is very disappointing to prospective students and for someone teaching publically it should at least be explained from the beginning if circumstances prevent the main instructor from being there regularly.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?

Rich98
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sorry for the HUGE gap in updates, I was made redundant about a week after my last post so everything went out the window. Good news is I managed too sort a new job at the start of Jan, less hours and pay but much more relaxed.

I ended up pulling them out of the club in Nov after chatting with another Sensei that runs a class a bit further out. Its £25 a month for 2 lessons a week at an hour a lesson... I almost spat my coffee at him when he told me the prices. I kinda figured that it was far too cheap and a waste of time but its like night and day. The last place was all about expense where as now its all about Karate, no silly 'special clubs' for additional membership fees and DVDs ect. The guy running is always there and you can tell he has a real passion for teaching it, lessons also seem a lot more focused. Also youngsters only do a 5 min warm up as he figures kids rarely need anything beyond that.

The one thing that really shocked me was at least 8 members had came from the old club, they had all apparently mutinied the previous year.

Also I've just started last week myself, pulled a muscle in my second lesson but still great fun with the kids!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a serious problem when karate is no longer about karate. Actual practise and training should make up most of the time in the dojo. Warming up, stretching and the like are important, but they can and should be done on personal time.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
There is a serious problem when karate is no longer about karate. Actual practise and training should make up most of the time in the dojo. Warming up, stretching and the like are important, but they can and should be done on personal time.

Solid post...especially the bold type above!!

Archangel
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ketsu-Ka Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Massage at your place Titanium? Nice! We do 15 minute warm up stretching then go right into drills for about 20 minutes or so, finishing with push ups, sit-ups and other exercises; then the katas, then the ju jitsu portion of the class followed by sparring. There are breaks in between for a few minutes. Total class time is an hour and a half. It's a workout! Gets more intense when there's a tournament coming up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: