Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jeremy T
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Looking for Isshinryu Reply with quote

My dad got a black belt in Isshinryu back in the late 70's\ early 80's around the Jackson, Mississippi area. He died a few years ago, and all I really have of his are his belt, patch and rank certificate.

We were never close, and he never did much else with his life. I always really wanted him to teach me when I was young, but he was never interested. Now, I'm older with an infant son of my own, and I would really like to learn the same form (Isshinryu) so I can pass it down to my own son one day.

His rank certificate was signed by Bill Farrish on May 10, 1980. I don't really know much more about it, but I really like the idea of training under someone who trained under the same Sensei. I just turned 39, and maybe it's just a crazy mid-life crisis thing, but doing this is really important to me. My wife and I have been looking to relocate because of the school district our house is in, so I'm perfectly fine with moving pretty much anywhere to pursue this.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Jeremy

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid OP, through and through; thank you for sharing that, it meant a lot to me!!

What do you want to know??

What state and city do you live in??

Wanting to pass it on to your son is most admirable and a dream for you both!! Allow your son to share your MA journey through and through; but do not push him into it. Allow him to want to do it, just as you are wanting to do it.

Even though you and your dad weren't close, his obi, patch, and certificate are the tangible connections that are close to the heart.

Train hard and train well!!

Jeremy T
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more about who Bill Farrish is, and if there's anyone out there who trained under him. Also, who are the best Isshinryu instructors out there?

I currently live in Austin, Texas, but we're looking to relocate.

I have no desire to mold my son into anything he doesn't want to be. I just want this to be a sort of vehicle to bond with him. I don't really know much of anything about sports, and I would just like to have something I could teach him.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best lead to find an isshin ryu dojo near you and perhaps also information about any instructor would be to contact the head of isshinryu for USA. Unless things have changed recently, isshin ryu still has an organization based in Okinawa with style head in USA.

Jeremy T
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are looking at Tennessee. Does anyone have any information on Isshinryu dojos in Tennessee? What is the oldest? Who are some of the top practitioners there?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few different Isshin-Ryu organizations out there. The best bet is a google search and start emailing various places asking if they know of anyone wherever you’re interested. Here’s a link that contains a directory, but I know of a few that aren’t listed there:
http://www.isshinryukarate.com/

Here’s another directory:
http://oikka.com/schools/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I think there are a few different Isshin-Ryu organizations out there. The best bet is a google search and start emailing various places asking if they know of anyone wherever you’re interested. Here’s a link that contains a directory, but I know of a few that aren’t listed there:

I'd just like to add here, not every school advertises whatsoever, and this includes the internet, for whatever their reason(s) might be, even in today's modern world we all live in.

Beat the street because the school you're searching for, isn't always located in that most obvious places one thinks to looks.

Hopefully, you'll find a great school that'll meet what you're wanting in the MA.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

I'd just like to add here, not every school advertises whatsoever, and this includes the internet, for whatever their reason(s) might be, even in today's modern world we all live in.

Beat the street because the school you're searching for, isn't always located in that most obvious places one thinks to looks.

Hopefully, you'll find a great school that'll meet what you're wanting in the MA.

Great post. Seems like some people like being off the radar. There was a gentleman teaching Seiyu Oyata’s Ryute Renmei that I briefly trained with in Westchester county, NY. No mention of him anywhere, including Oyata’s and affiliated dojos’ websites. I saw a reference to him and his dojo on an unrelated website, so I visited. It was basically in a house/corner store that got converted into a dojo. No signage, no nothing. I don’t think he had a working phone in there. After introducing himself, he asked how I heard about him. He chuckled and went on with what they do and how they go about it.

He was a legit teacher and member of the organization. There were a few pictures of him and his students with Oyata. There were group photos with Oyata inside that dojo running class. And a group of his students had recently been promoted by Oyata himself.

Why that guy wanted to fly under the radar, I have no idea. And he’d been there for a while, so it wasn’t like he just started. He had a full time day job and what seemed like enough students to cover his expenses, so maybe that was it.

To the OP - stuff like that happens at a lot of places. Contacting several places that are on the web might reveal a place or two that you could check out.

On the other hand, Isshin Ryu isn’t the only type of karate out there. From what I know of it, it’s an excellent school/organization. I know there’s a sentimental attachment, but training something is definitely better than nothing. I’ve always felt the teacher and the students are far more important than any style. Find a school where you like the teacher and how he/she’s teaching and the students you’ll train alongside. There’s plenty of variation within an organization. I’m in the Seido Juku (karate) organization. I picked my school because the teacher and students, along with schedule, price, etc. There are some other Seido schools I’d like to train at, and some I wouldn’t.

Once you’re on the floor doing your thing and you’ve grown to trust what you’re being taught is worthwhile, the signs, pictures and what’s written on the patch on your uniform become inconsequential. It’s what you’re learning and how well you’re doing with it that matters. The rest becomes an added bonus IMO.

Just some food for thought.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville has a at least 3 dojos and there is another in Servierville(sp??).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: