Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: MA Lux Generation Reply with quote

MA Lux for the me me generation.

Watching some late night MMA the other night and there, she a fighter, is on national TV thrilled to bits blowing kisses to the audience in and of site of the building.

First thought, you gonna get hurt.

Yes she lost; without too much thought.

If she had been focused more on fighting than posing she could have had a chance of winning.

Point being it was a fighting contest and not a popularity contest.

Even after the fight she was all smiles and just happy to be there; not knowing any better, it looked like she was the winner.

I hope her trainers told her a few words to the wise.

Look mum I'm on TV, getting knockout out!!!

Are you in to or a part of this generation?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you in to or a part of this generation?

No!! Nor do I want to be because it's the farthest thing from who I am.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What (who?) is MA lux? And what is the me me generation?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the incident you are talking about so it is entirely possible that there was some showboating I would have considered distasteful. However, keep in mind - without FANS, mma fighters would just be two unpaid combatants, in an empty field. I think it is important for (pro) fighters to remember this AND occasionally acknowledging the very folks who pay their mortgage seems appropriate to me.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "me me generation" are the self centered narcissists in society, that over value themselves and their abilities, expecting to be treated as if being famous or special but in reality are just very conceited people.

"MA lux" is just a made up name, to describe very shallow fighting priciples in Martial Arts, that do it for luxury things or just for the attention of being noticed; winning or losing isn't important for them but being on TV is.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
The "me me generation" are the self centered narcissists in society, that over value themselves and their abilities, expecting to be treated as if being famous or special but in reality are just very conceited people.

"MA lux" is just a made up name, to describe very shallow fighting priciples in Martial Arts, that do it for luxury things or just for the attention of being noticed; winning or losing isn't important for them but being on TV is.

Every generation is the "me me generation."

Each generation has its idiosyncrasies, and each generation has its positive traits. Just because they're different, doesn't mean they're less than the others.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Each generation has its idiosyncrasies, and each generation has its positive traits. Just because they're different, doesn't mean they're less than the others.
I'm in total agreement with you singularity6.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Solid post!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

That makes sense. I took "MA lux" to mean "MA lite" since lux is Latin for "light" and I am a giant nerd. Regardless, I think that you and I were thinking the same thing with the phrase.

I have always been split about this kind of thing. On the one hand, I come from a teacher who taught us in a "traditional" (whatever that means) way, and for me MA should be about learning how to effectively defend yourself. On the other hand, MA is different things to different people. If someone wants to learn MA because they like the flips of XMA or the flashy moves, then who am I to say that this is wrong? Do I think that this type of MA has a place in a ring? No.

I will argue that things like the Mayweather/McGregor fight are, in no small part, a popularity contest. Yes, the actual fight was decided by actual fighting. However, a lot of the lead up to the fight is about generating hype for this-or-that fighter and part of being a fighter today seems to involve some showmanship. Would McGregor have been chosen if he had not been a showman? I am not so sure (and too be fair, it has been awhile since I have followed professional fighting so I might be wrong).

All-in-all, I think that your assessment about getting into the ring just to be famous is correct. If you're not a fighter, don't get into the ring.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recognizing generational differences is extremely important for communication's sake. It's really easy to fall into the superiority mindset ("these young kids" or "you're just too old to understand") which is not helpful in any way.

I've said this before: Martial arts almost always have some teaching about water - being fluid and adapting, yet they seem to forget about those teachings in situations like this.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: