Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

flash
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use shoes at my studio. Most people wear Discipline or Tiger Claw. I wear discipline's but I'm not very happy with their wear and tear although they are very confortable. One of the senior instructors swears by Addidas Tyrints. They are a wrestling high-top. I may switch to them soon.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dojang is also carpeted (... always has been and just recently newly carpeted with extra cushioning for those takedowns!) As martial artists we work out in bare feet. If you choose a workout shoe, be sure it has a low gripping bottom since many techniques involve pivoting and spinning on the ball of your foot.

Many of our cardio kickboxing students insist on wearing a shoe but many come in with a crosstraining sneaker which we are not allowing as we are seeing alot of injuries due to the fact that it inhibits the pivoting motion thus torqueing the knee.

Martial arts shoes designed for these types of kicks so whichever you prefer (brand) ... style -wise there may be a diference.

I've been training on carper for 10 years ... in the beginning ... yes, a few blisters, but now my feet are calloused and hard (not very pretty ) but conditioned for breaking as well.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I wound up with the Asics wrestling shoe. So far they have worked out great.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adidas have commercially released into sports shops some martial arts training shoes - but in the form of triners, sure they look like trainers, but they are really martial arts shoes!

Also very stylish!
www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretty101 wrote:

For some reason it's become fashionable for people to wear them on the street. Serious even people who don't do martial arts?! I see them all the time in nightclubs.

Bretty

my friend had a pair of adidas tae kwon do shoes and she doesnt do martial arts and there wore out really quick on the street. (they have like almost no sole) and way i tryed them on and they're really nice and i would recomend them. ive never sparred with them but there were nice.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never worn shoes in my training. In TKD I have only seen one person ever wear them - she had a problem with one of her feet. I have seen people train in BJJ with wrestling shoes, but I wouldn't like the restraint of them.
Girls kick butt!

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree i like my feet to be free!! i like the grip my feet have.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can train either way, but I've learned as I get older that the thought of bustin' a toe(s) or even spraining one isn't a whole lot of fun. Plus all it'll do is take away from your training. With shoes you obviously save your toes and the bottoms of your feet(sometimes). I've developed blisters the first time I actually wore shoes for training. Took some getting use to just like anything else.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XpOiSoN FrEeX, I was thinking: on the other side of the coin, if you are grappling and wish to wear shoes, it can be harder to sink an anklelock/heelhook. I was watching some of the Ken Shamrock highlights....he always seems to get foot subs to work better on people who are barefoot. Maybe it is tighter with shoes....
Girls kick butt!

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just mike's personal preferance. im just used to no shoes. you can feel the way your opponent moves better without shoes. (if you get what i mean)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: