Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: MA training shoes Reply with quote

I recently joined a dojo that is carpeted and requires training shoes. Since I have never used shoes in MA training I am asking for feedback. My current training involves karate, kungfu, and some grappling. I have seen the Addidas and Kwon shoes and have looked at some wrestling shoes. Is there a difference? Any advice is appreciated as my crosstrainers are not getting it.

Red J

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm my dojo is carpeted and we train bare foot, that is odd ... Sorry I have never worn any training shoes and any advice I could give you would be uneducated, so good luck hopfully someone can help you

I AM CANADIAN

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dojo is allso carpeted but we are not wimps and wear shoes though some of the members of the club do. They seem to prefer the addidas brand there light weight thing sole and heavy duty supposedly.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Discipline brand when I train with shoes on. Check them out, they have a website I believe.

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school, we do not where shoes, tile flooring, we do not even put shoes on when we go running outside on the asfalt

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tile Flooring...ouch don't the tiles break or crack when doing hard take downs and stuff like that. I could see that being much more painful even when doing rolls, Thank goodness we have carpet

I AM CANADIAN

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate that other people do not wear shoes, and put their feet through tough conditioning, for I've been there too. I trained outdoors for 18 months barefooted. However, the reason for the post is to see what shoes are recommended for carpeting. I'll check on the Discipline's, Pacificshore.

Red J

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wear shoes and am thinking about the Discipline shoes for my next pair. I have had several pears of pine tree shoes. My big problem with the leather sneakers is the way they stretch.

MA sneakers are much lighter and closer fitting than cross trainers.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Discipline shoes. I've worn Otomix and didn't care for them. The thing about the Discipline shoes are that they run small, so if you normally wear a size 10 then either go half or a full size up depending on how you like your shoes to fit. They come in the low top or high top. Shop around too if you can, sometimes you can find them on sale for a good price.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwon and Addidas are the best shoes i've seen (in the UK).

For some reason it's become fashionable for people to wear them on the street. Serious even people who don't do martial arts?! I see them all the time in nightclubs.

Anyway, I used to train on carpet which gives you really bad blisters nut when you get used to them you never have trouble with blisters ever again.

I'm not really a fan of shoes as i'm light on my feet and like to feel where the floor is and how much traction i have. I only where them in our local sports centre where there is broken glass on the floor brough in on other peoples feet.

Bretty
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: