Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Making my own test - breaking suggestions? Reply with quote

Hey all-

I've been doing a year long program at my school. One of our owners got her 6th degree last year, and has been doing a year of preparation for her Mastership. She created a program similar to the UBT by Tom Callo.

For the past year we have been doing:
150 situps, 150 pushups, 3 miles walking/running per day.
Form, 3 x per day. Sparring, 3 rounds/day. 10 good deeds/day, one book a month for self improvement, and meditation 20 mins/day, and then there are some other more personal requirements.

We get to design our own testing for the final. No less than 10 minutes, no more than 30.

I want to do a lot of different breaks. Power breaks, speed breaks, agility, etc.

Anyone have any really sweet breaks that they like?

Hopefully I'll be able to record the testing, and post the video somewhere for people to see.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great program you've gone through. I really like the emphasis on self-improvement.
We don't do breaks so I have no recommendations, but I hope to see the video when you're done. Best of luck to you.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Belasko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon do, some Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some breaks I've seen were a 6 board powerbreak. This was executed w/ a back cross side kick. In the same test I saw a combination break. The person testing started out between 2 sets of boards (all sites were 2 board breaks) on either side of him. These were broken by hammerfists simultaneously, then he did a spinning knife hand strike to boards behind and on the right side. This rotation was continued into a roundhouse kick on the same plane further along a line. They then did a back cross side kick going to the right. There were two other breaks after that but I can't remember them off hand. I know one was a heel palm strike.

Another one I have done that was not near as complicated was a heel palm, into a spin kick at 90 degrees to the right, followed by a right handed chop on the horizontal at temple height.

The only other one that comes to mind was one I saw a grandmaster do. 3 bricks on either side of him. He broke all six w/ heel palm strikes at the same time. not bad for an 83 yr old

Konoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like this break I found recently online -> http://www.itfnz.org.nz/events/archives/images_2003/seminar/2003_seminar_salton.html

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've been thinking of so far:

Break #1: three boards on each hand, supported on blocks, broken from a seated position.

Break #2: Concrete edging blocks on end, stacked over another with concrete blocks in between, double speed break

Break #3: Jump reverse side kick over 3 people, 2 boards

Break #4: Three board ridge hand speed break

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I would be interested in seeing it if it hits the net. Please let me know.

As for breaks... ok, so this has been done and it was in the movies but I would like to see someone do it... 3 long neck beer bottles in a row with one pass

Snuffing a 2 church candles one on each side of you (I am told that they are made so that they are draft resistant and do not blow out as easily...it could be one of those old wives tales that this old man heard)

exotic wood (not pine or cedar but something with a really tight grain (not very showy but I have seen people do stacks of tight grained woods and I at least appreciate the effort (althought such wood is expensive.

Sorry of these are childish sounding...I would just like to see them done (or done again)

Belasko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon do, some Judo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The break of the video clip was impressive. That definately could be a good one.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belasko wrote:
The break of the video clip was impressive. That definately could be a good one.

Ooops I missed the link. but went back to it. ... very nice!

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konoko wrote:
I quite like this break I found recently online -> http://www.itfnz.org.nz/events/archives/images_2003/seminar/2003_seminar_salton.html

Nice clip!

Respectfully,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konoko wrote:

I like that one too. Very nice.

Good luck Aodhan with the breaks and the testing!!

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: