Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAH HUMBUG use a makiwara to make yourself hit harder, not to toughing the area around your knuckles, seriously do you guys really have to be so egotistical, does having ugly useless knuckles make you feel better? chins dont rip your knuckles, neither do bodys, so why would you need supertough hideous skin around you knuckles? sorry for taking so long to get back to you anony, but makiwara training i feel is worthless justbecause your not moving when you hit it, you can only hit it from one angle, you cant really practice combinations, and most people do it for the WRONG reasons. oh and it teaches you to stop short with your punches.
blah blah blah
12 hour flights make me grumpy, sorry if im being rude ;p

Zachary Loo
Yours in Karate-do

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The makiwara is designed to develop a number of things. First one can practise a multitude techniques. Most striking and kicking techniques.

One learns how to apply power and focus. One learns to develop hand eye coordination. It strengthens the joints of the wrist and elbow and harden the hands. If one is only out to harden the hands then I believe the focus is wrong. One learns to hit a hard contact and experience full contact at full power.

No it doesnt not move and sometimes your sparring partner does not move either. I agree learning to hit a moving target is also a good idea.

I believe the Makiwara has many benefits and should I not believe this I would have not used one for 28 years.

If you dont think any particular piece of equipment is of value to you, then dont use it. Thats called free choice.

I will however point out that the Makiwara has been used by Masters for hundreds of centuries and from many different schools and styles. Funny that. The great ones still keep using it.

As for me, I continue to use it. Creativeness can make makiwara work very beneficial in my opinion. But its all about personal preferences

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh choki motubi (spelling) used to hit and kick folded makiwara up against a wall, rather than a makiwara ;p as for strengthing the muscles/joints associated with throwwing a punch, so does a punching bag chachachahcha

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered myself a "Korean Makiwara" as shown in this link:

http://www.martialartsworld.com.au/catalogue/productpics/Equipment/te68.JPG

Although a small wall mount unit (good for my apartment) it seems to have a flexible "clapper" to measure punch strength and provide some flexibility and "give". I believe springs can be mounted behind the boards to increase resistance for harder punches.

I like this idea as it seems to provide some of the benefits of a free standing makiwara or heavy bag with the price and convenience of the standard (useless) rigid board/pad wallmount.

Has anyone else used one of these? What do you think?

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a new makiwari question asked so does anyone have stories about them they would like to share.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that clapper was crapper, as far as I'm concerned... Not enough give on a wall makes a lousy target. Besides, I broke it anyway, with the tiny screws that hold the spring ripping clean out of the wood.

I started another thread more on making makiwara, any ideas/problems people have had when constructing the thing, etc. However its been moved to this.

If anyone has interesting plans, found the best type of wood, etc, let us all know.

If you hate the whole idea of the makiwara, please move on, nothing to say here that hasn't already been said.

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one all the time. :pony:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: