Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Managing Behavior in Children's Martial Arts Training Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

In this article, I will discuss how you can proactively and reactively manage the behavior of a child in a martial arts class that you are leading.

Proactive

A proactive effort is something that what you do before a behavior occurs, to prevent said behavior.

1. Start the first day by giving clear expectations.

2. Be consistent in all of your expectations and discipline.

3. Tell students what TO do, not what NOT to do.

4. Compliment and praise those students who are behaving correctly, pointing out exactly what behavior they are displaying that you are pleased with. Examples include: "I love how Jason is looking at me while I'm talking," "Marcus is doing an excellent job keeping his hands still in ready stance" and "I really like Alice's attention stance; she looks just like a statue."

Reactive

This is when you must react after a behavior has occurred.

1. React immediately. If you wait then the child will not identify the behavior with the consequence, some children may not even remember the behavior.

2. Be consistent in how you deal with the behavior. The students need to know they can trust you. They also need to know you will be fair.

3. Before you use a punishment, remind students of the behavior you are looking for. Most students will fall in line when reminded.

4. Push-ups. Many new instructors do not believe any longer in using push-ups as a punishment. Push-ups are an appropriate wake-up call to students. It tells them that you are serious. It reminds them that you are in charge.

5. Focus on the behavior, not the child.

6. Make the punishment mean something. As soon as after the punishment or reprimand as possible, address the child privately to discuss their behavior. Explain what they did wrong, what was wrong about it, appeal to their better judgment and discuss other, more appropriate options. Example: "Instead of whining that you are thirsty, politely raise your hand and ask if you can get a drink." Then have the student practice raising their hand and asking.

7. After the punishment or reprimand has been sufficiently explained to the student, with the right choice understood; immediately praise the student when they demonstrate the correct behavior that you just discussed. Continue to notice said correct behavior and praise it accordingly until you feel that they will continue to display it even without your praise. Don't forget the other students when praising said student.

Instructors who use the proactive methods effectively will find that they need to use reactive methods less and less.

Age Appropriate Ways to Manage Behavior

3-4 year olds are looking to please. They do not understand big words or long sentences. Make your sentences short and use words and phrases that are familiar to them. Demonstrate and be an example of the behavior you are looking for. Have younger children (5-6 years old) who are well disciplined assist in their classes. This gives the 3-4 year olds someone to look up to who is close to their age. The closeness in age helps them better identify with their role model.

Appeal to a 3-4 year olds sense of mean/nice; they will respond better if you explain things in those terms. Example: "It is not nice when you cut in line because the other students want a turn, too." Remember that 3-4 year olds are still learning what is appropriate. They need gentle guidance in the right direction, consistency and reprimands as appropriate. This age group learns best by doing and lectures are generally useless.

5-7 year olds are still looking to please. They understand more than 3-4 year olds, but still need simple directions. Always behave as you expect them to behave. Children 5-7 years old are learning about right and wrong. They need to know how their actions affect others. 5-7 year olds also need to learn their options. Most mean well, but they just don't understand the consequences of their actions. As always be consistent.

With pre-teens (9-12), you should appeal to their sense of fairness. Make sure they understand how their actions influence those around them. Children of this age are more likely to become resentful if they feel that you are treating them unfairly. ALWAYS explain exactly what it is that they did wrong, and why you disciplined or reprimanded them for it.

Children of this age like belonging to a group. Of all age groups, the pre-teens are more likely to respond to group discipline. Address the whole class in group discipline, state what "they" are doing wrong and compliment "them" when they correct their behavior.

Teens want to be treated like adults. Make sure that they understand that the more responsibly they behave the more self expression and independence they will receive. Explain to the teens that if they act like children, they will be treated accordingly. If they act like adults, again they will be treated accordingly.

Let the teens choose drills, warm-ups, the number of times they will perform a technique, etc. Also give them time to work independently, as well as in loosely supervised groups. Teach your teens to be leaders and give them opportunities to practice. When they act inappropriately, appeal to their sense of responsibility. Teens also need to know that their opinions are valued, so give them opportunities for self expression. Remember that you are trying to mold them into well balanced adults, but they aren't yet adults and responsibility given to them should be appropriate to the situation and student.

Many of these points can apply to more than one age group and not all children fit into these categories. This is just a general guide to get an instructor started. The more consistent you are with your class management, the more the students will learn self discipline.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Jennifer.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great article Rateh. I'm just really starting to do more with the kids in my club so this is going to come in handy

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article, and your article proves that YOU CAN TEACH KIDS...that takes a special gift. Not all black belts can teach, but even more so, not all black belts that do teach, can't teach kids.

Solid!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written, and very informative. Thanks for sharing this!

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article!!! THANKS!!!!

KALIPUTRA
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hung gar, Shaolin, Taichi, south sea fist and Raj shank astra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I had great teachers and was able to benefit from their experience still i have copied your statement just to show to my classes junior instructors. I thank your for broaching this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: