Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Managing Time Reply with quote

there are times that you need to stop the class and explain something. during this time normally class stops and the students listen to you.
on average, how many minutes per hour you stop your class. have you seen an instructor talks more than half of the class time while students are just standing? I like to keep the class going all the time if I stop the class it would be less than 30 sec just to show the right way, I don't tell stories or three different analogies to prove a point , to me it is unnecessary.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed more than a few instructors who have the habit of overexplaning things. The best and most ideal by far is to make time for explaining technical details and fine points AFtTer demonstration and practise, preferably at the end of the training session/day as a recapitulation of the lessons main point. This makes it more manageable and students can leave with an idea and a point to ponder until next time.

1: watch and demonstrate
2: learn why/how it’s done
3: drill
4: review, explain, analyse etc

Or something similar to that sequence.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't stop class to explain details. I have 15 minutes after class devoted to answering questions should there be any. The students all know this and are able to ask me to explain anything.

However I do not stop in the middle of a class to give details or explanations.

Now if I'm teaching new applications a bit more time is taken to explain how the techniques are executed and where (targets). But again they get a very brief explanation and hold all questions until after class.

I have two reasons for this; It's been my experience if the student does it a few times they answer their own questions. And I don't need to hear myself speak. All too often instructors burn up valuable time in class over explaining details that their students did not ask in the first place and the students end up tuning them out and they have wasted their time. This is why I give them the opportunity after class. If they need detailed explanations that is the time to do it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
I don't stop class to explain details. I have 15 minutes after class devoted to answering questions should there be any. The students all know this and are able to ask me to explain anything.

However I do not stop in the middle of a class to give details or explanations.

Now if I'm teaching new applications a bit more time is taken to explain how the techniques are executed and where (targets). But again they get a very brief explanation and hold all questions until after class.

I have two reasons for this; It's been my experience if the student does it a few times they answer their own questions. And I don't need to hear myself speak. All too often instructors burn up valuable time in class over explaining details that their students did not ask in the first place and the students end up tuning them out and they have wasted their time. This is why I give them the opportunity after class. If they need detailed explanations that is the time to do it.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

You want a detailed explanation? Then go to a seminar, however, even at a seminar, the blah blah blah has to be limited. If one takes longer than it should take to explain something...anything, then that CI/Instructor should think about another line of work.

There's a fine line...wait...no there's not...get on with the teaching and limit the verbiage!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I explain what we are doing and why we do it a certain way. Which will take 3-5 minutes, if it is a new drill.

Otherwise I do:
1. Show what we doing
2. Explain what we are doing
3. Get them to do it
4. Make corrections

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends a lot on who is in the class. People learn differently and I've worked with students who learnt best by showing once and then letting them figure it out. I've also worked with students where it is better to explain every little detail and make sure they understand before being allowed to try. You have to be adaptable. You can't expect everyone to learn in the same way.

I encourage anyone I teach to ask questions during the session. If they were thinking it chances are someone else in the room was thinking it too. I'll either take the time to explain myself, or sometimes for a learning opportunity I'll ask a student to explain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: