Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

wcnavstar
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu/ Wing Chun

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Martial art equipment Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best way to get equipment, that is easy to resupply and can support a budding martial arts school?

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your school is just starting out, it probably won't be very fiscally wise to try to keep things in stock like a pro shop. A lot of schools just put things on a monthly order when the student asks for it, and then the student waits for it to come in.

The three major suppliers for my dojo are: Century, Ikon, and AWMA (ProForce).
From my experience, Ikon has the best quality foam sparring gear (lasts long).

Ikon has very good lightweight uniforms. A lot of people on the forums here like ProForce's uniforms...I've never had one. When it comes to a heavyweight uniform, I much prefer Century's over Ikon's. It may not last as long, but it just feels better.

Century has good equipment like standing bags and hand targets. They also have the novelty items like T-shirts, keychains, coffee mugs, etc.

Our school orders belts from Ikon, but...I've always preferred Century's belts. They're not slick like Ikon's, so they stay tied better. I do have to admit, though...Ikon has a good system going for putting sizes on belts. Century just puts stickers on the belts that you can peel off later. Ikon, however, has the sizes on white tags that are permanently attached to the belt. That way, you can just walk up to a student, read the tag, and know what size belt s/he will need for their next grading. It also makes it easier to get them from storage. It's such a pain when a sticker falls off a Century belt...it becomes the unknown belt. What size is it? Nobody knows!

Anyway, those are just my opinions on gear, etc.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Monkeygirl - belt stickers. Some of us actually prefer not to have size stickers on our belt and remove them stick on or not.

http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/
That company carries most of the major brands.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS wrote:
LOL Monkeygirl - belt stickers. Some of us actually prefer not to have size stickers on our belt and remove them stick on or not.

Oh yes, I agree! lol.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't like the sizing patches either...but I do have to admit to their usefulness. That's why I'm glad I've achieved Dan ranking....we use a Century belt! Plus you don't have to get a new belt every 4 or 5 months...wearing the same one for 2/3 years will make it nice and soft When I got my Red Belt, it was Ikon. I hated that thing!!! From then on, I weaseled my way into getting Century belts.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: