Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrisw08
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito/ Kenshin Kan/ of Grandmaster Fusei Kise/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Martial artist working with mental patients when they snap!! Reply with quote

I was planning on working at a mental institute that allows boarding which is restraints and there are laws when it comes to dealing with the patients about the way you handle there violent behavior. You can defend yourself and they teach you techs in training on restraining them when they act crazy and start being violent but as we all know what you learn isn't necessary what you use involuntary in panic. If a 6 3 mental guy just randomly tries to power slam you or someone else who knows what you'll do under pressure but if your training obviously in whatever martial art then that is more than likely what you will use. My question is are there any martial arts that are defense and nonviolent enough to use against mental patients. I though maybe jujitsu the nonbreaking stuff but the hold might be acceptable or maybe some of the joint locks from hapkido. Does anyone know a style that you could use or is this not acceptable. I do karate but obviously its all strikes and that wouldn't be. You have to hold them down for staff to get there and put them on a board that is goal or just basic defense if that attack you because I know a couple of that work there that got held down and the mental people bite there fingers off and another that got choked out tell passed out and another that got smashed with a fire extinguisher so obviously you have to have some kind of defense even when not boarding them.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and former training partner of mine worked at a facility for dementia patients, and she had to use her training fairly regularly. We trained in a karate school that incorporated some judo into the curriculum, and it worked well enough for her. I think that just about any grappling art that focuses on control (wrestling, judo, sambo, Japanese jujutsu, etc.) would work fine as long as you trained them in a way that takes into account the way you need to use it. Find a grappling art that focuses on controlling your opponent, and then talk to the instructor to make sure you drill it appropriately.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from a LE background I have to recommend BJJ at the top of the list. I've studied several arts over the course of my MA career and I've had success in certain live situations with aspects of all of them.

That said, BJJ works fantastic for restraint and control and is perfect for what you're talking about. It's really great in regards to control and owning the other individual from wherever you're at and getting yourself out of whatever bad spots you might get into. It's focus on control and body contact makes it some much more reliable than many aspects of standing joint manipulation arts for controlling an individual.

It's really been the best thing I've found for suspect control for what you're talking about.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a charity that supported mentally handicapped men working on a farm. I was working with one client one to one. He was very fit, 15 stone of solid muscle, 32 years old but with the mental age of 4. He was incredibly strong; he could carry a bail of hay in each hand and lift them above his head. A young social worker once commented "Are you not afraid of him hurting you Gareth?" I answered; "I would be more afraid of you raising your voice to me, he doesn't like it." "Gareth is a Good Boy" was one of his favorite lines. I was never afraid of this man, powerful as he was. He is still my friend and I visit the farm to see him every now and again. Over all, working there was a very positive experience.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that grappling arts are going to serve you best here. Being able to use your body to restrain them, and getting your limbs into position to protect them from biting or what not.

What will be even more beneficial is working with the other workers there on how to effectively grapple with someone 2 on 1 or more so. The pig pile isn't as effective as having a plan, with one securing the legs, and the other looking for the restraint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: