Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Martial Arts and Complacency Reply with quote

Complacency

Defined as:

1.) A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an
unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

2.) An instance of contented self-satisfaction.

Synonyms:

contentment, satisfaction, sense of security, smugness, good feeling; ease, abundance, alleviation, amenity, assuagement, bed of roses, cheer, cheerfulness, complacency, contentment, convenience, coziness, creature comforts, enjoyment, exhilaration, facility, gratification, happiness, luxury, opulence, peacefulness, pleasure, plenty, poise, quiet, relaxation, relief, repose, rest, restfulness, satisfaction, snugness, succor, sufficiency, warmth, well-being

Complacency has a fine line or gray area if it is in too much abundance, thus it could be synonymous with:

conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity

“Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: It has to be shattered before being ascertained.” Vladimir Nabokov

Complacency has to be understood within human parameters. Using human experiences to form our aptitude, complacency is rooted within a psychological prejudice. The intellectual study to obtain and process this particular information is decreased by a sense of ardent exposure and dedication beyond acceptance. Almost, to a point of denial. As suggested within the theory of Ying-Yang, complacency has to be balanced and implicit, in order to not favor in one direction or the other. Per its first definition; A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy. Complacency becomes a problem when one categorically dismisses any notion from a subconscious verse; “It won’t happen to me” or “I am ready for anything.”

A good example is from a scene in the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon;

Han: “We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for.”

Williams: "Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice."

Han: "Oh? How so?"

Williams: "I'll be too busy looking gooood."

And, most of us know what happens to Mr Williams.

Could it be that training in a martial art be also considered as a type of insurance, something we may have to use, and not for a "if something should happen”, but “when something could happen”.

And like insurance, there is no guarantee that we are fully protected in the sense of self-preservation.

As a martial artist, we train and prepare, at least most do, for the actual “moment of truth”. In some real situations, some martial artists fair or do well. (I read and hear from many martial artists on how well they have done in a real situation, and rarely do I hear someone stating that they did poorly, or lower than expected.)

But, does this give us total assurance that upon each situation, we can rely on our skill sets, each, and every time?

What is your response or thought upon this thread?
[/quote]

algernon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts and Complacency Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
Complacency . . . could be synonymous with:

conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity

It is quite a jump from complacency to narcissism. Indeed, any of these attributes could contribute to a complacent mind, but they are the cause, not the result; more factors may be at work than egotism. "Complacency," at least as the word relates to the martial arts, generally connotes an unwarranted feeling of security. Though it can come from an overestimation of one's abilities, it can also come from an underestimation of danger; in fact, it is easy to see how the latter could be the source of the former. Overcoming a hazardously complacent mentality is not a simple matter of humility; it requires an accurate awareness of the dangers to which you are exposed, and a realistic understanding of how your skills measure up to them.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice response. So, I guess one should not have this in any profession Could it also mean that one will not continue to strive to better their abilities?

Last edited by RichardZ on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice post, with lots of good thoughts to consider.

I do think that complacency can become a problem in the Martial Arts, and many other endeavors for that matter, especially when one is not challenged on a regular basis.

I try not to become complacent in my training, often times to the point of constanly wondering if I am good enough at all.

The best thing for complacency is a reality check, I would venture to guess.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry about complacency within myself because I already know that I'll never reach the end of my journey; train until I die. Perfecting the unperfectable technique!

Was Bruce complacent in these words?...

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I don't worry about complacency within myself because I already know that I'll never reach the end of my journey; train until I die. Perfecting the unperfectable technique!

Was Bruce complacent in these words?...

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

Interesting. Knowing that youd never reach your journey and "self-satisfied", as sometomes complacency may mean, are different.

To some, complacecny is not a matter of never reaching a goal, it may be a level of comfort or relaxation.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same page as Bob is, though, I think he means that by the journey being perpetual, you keep setting new goals, and keep striving....therefore, avoiding complacency.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so we are all on the "same page"

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
Ah, so we are all on the "same page"
Well, not necessarily. I know Bob fairly well, so I can kind of guess what he is getting at.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are well are saying that complacency is not where a martial artist should be, but contious focus is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: