Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the topic has been raised about guns as a martial art. It just occured to me that as an American, I can own and use a handgun. I know that there are many on this forum who are not able to own a handgun because of strict laws in other countries.
Most of the people that I have talked to , that are martial artists here in Los Angeles own firearms and practice at a shooting range. It goes hand in hand with martial arts training. What do you people think?

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in England.

What's a handgun? LOL!

But seriously

My Instructor lives in Arkansas - and his JKD Curriculum covers 7 ranges of combat - one of which is firearms training. When I go over there I'm gonna have a play

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What's a handgun? LOL!

But seriously

Lets put it an simple way. It's a small gun that you can hide easy and it fit in the palm of your hand and i don't have a picture of one

well if their were Guns in Martial Arts then it kind of could ruin the Martial Arts. Using a gun is easier then fighting.

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, guns ARE easier, but we need to know how to defend against them and how to use them. Ive been shooting (with rifles, shotguns, handguns, etc.) since I was about 6 or so. My mom is a state trooper and she taught me how. If someone breaks into your house, knowing how to use a gun would greatly come in handy. Not knowing whether or not they were armed, it would be quite unwise to attack them barehanded. In America, we are allowed to shoot intruders. Im not sure how the laws are in other countries though. I dont think that gun training in general should be considered a martial art, but I think that they should be incorporated into the training. Since there are so many crimes involving guns, I think that everyone should know a little about guns so that they know what to expect, how to deal with it, etc. etc.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm ... reminds me of this "Martial Arts vs Modern Art" http://www.employees.org/%7Eslim/MAHumor/stick.gif ...

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, that reminds me of that Indiana Jones movie. Ya know... where the guy is doing a lot fancy sword movement and Dr. Jones shoots him. One of my favorite scenes.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effective combat or self-defense(there really being only a fine line between the two) firearm training is a martial art. Any dedication, training, practice, application, and philosophy(believe me, there is philosophy behind gun use) towards a martial application is a martial art.

I wouldn't train to use a gun if the only purpose behind my training to use was target practice. That would have no martial application and not be considered a martial art. If the training is for the purpose of defense then it becomes a martial art.

True, it is a very unconventional martial art(ie no belts or ranking) but those do not necessarily define a martial art. However, gun fighting/firearm defense training is as much a martial art as is karate, chinese style fighting, or any other art.

As the ancient okinawans used tools for defense so do we, guns(used primarily for hunting) now become a great defense tool.

I do not believe anyone should do nothing but guns, I do believe if the purpose behind your training is self defense then guns should have an equal role within your training regime.

I have lived overseas, but the countries I lived in allowed guns for its citizens. As for our UK brothers(including sisters) I am not familiar with the laws governing firearm ownership or the penalties associated therewith. I am also unfamiliar with the availability of firearms to the general criminal populace there. So I cannot fully answer that question beneath those circumstances.

I don't see guns as ruining martial arts, because they are both the same at the core. Guns would only fully enhance the martial arts and the martial artist. How can you really expect yourself to be prepared for anything if firearm training(guns being so prevalent in society here) is not part of your training regime? Any fool can pull a trigger, true, but only one who knows the gun can effectively use it in combat. Guns are not that effecitive under most circumstances. They are as much an aid in fighting as a knife or stick is and are only as effective as the man holding them. Just for arguement sake: most police have marksman ratings in shooting, yet for field combat proficiency only about 40% pass. In the time it takes to draw and acquire a target the assailant can move 25feet toward the shooter. These are police issued statistics. Guns, most effectively yielded by law enforcement, appear not that effective. In fact they are used more for control(ie containment of threat, exp. "Put your hands up in the air!") than for actual gunfights.
Most gun injuries on the street are from members of gangs facing another member pulling the gun and the victim freezing from FEAR, unable to respond he is shot.

The use of and combat training of firearms are in and of themselves a martial art. They should not, however, be learned alone without another martial art.

I hope this helps.

ps.
I don't remember the references/sources for my information about police and guns, but I can look them up if anyone would like even more nformation.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warnerbros.com/

And watch "Kung Fu 3D" to see Kane dodge bullets.

Also try Steppenwolf or Arcane for some pretty cool online games.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a firearms advocate I agree that martial arts and firearms do go hand in hand.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laws regarding guns here are very simple. None.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: