Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SeenThatAgain
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Martial Arts and POLITICS Reply with quote

This forum seems appropriate for this subject matter:

At one time certain things were against the law to even say, this phenomenom was epitomized in Orwell's 1984, in which some thoughts were considered, "Thought Crimes." A thought crime was any thought that was undesirable by the established order or social convention.

At one time in US history teaching females how to defend against males was considered taboo and subversive to the order, and that females should not be educated in the arts of self defense. This was obviously a measure to protect men from retaliation from educated martial arts women.

The established order was uneasy when martial arts experts began teaching women to ... kick a man in the groin as a matter of self defense.
Kicking a man in the groin was once a taboo subject and at one point in history, religion ordained that if a woman kicked a man in the groin, that she should be put death as punishment. Yet, today kicking a male in the groin is an accepted subject matter, which is easily discussed and often shown on television.

Yet, there is a subject in self-defense that seems to be a current taboo and that current taboo is ... kicking women in the groin as a matter of self defense.

Yet, there is sufficient peril in this. Suppose we do not teach women how to or to even kick another women in the groin, or even what is the best method, the possibility arises that a female may lose a battle, be critically injured, or even killed because she did not know of or did not think to or did not know how to defend herself by striking back against her attacker.

Furthermore, I would proclaim that it is the violent, aggressive, prone-to-fight women that know how to kick another women in the groin, where as the innocent, civil, peaceful women do not know of the proper way to fully defend herself.

And to continue, some have claimed that it should not be stated which parts of her groin to strike, but rather to simply state "kick the groin." And it is not mentioned then, how to kick the groin, as in "toe-leading," or with "instep-leading." This knowledge not being supplied to innocent women is to their detriment when she learns that her aggressive opponent knows exactly how to inflict maximum pain and damage, by showing her decisively in a fight. By impeding knowledge to women as to the best way to defend themselves, or by impeding women's understanding as to how violent other women attack, jeopardizes only those innocent women, while allowing the violent, criminal, aggressor to continue to defeat those innocent women.

The taboo of not teaching women how to defend against other women in itself is counter to the aims of self-defense.

As knowledge is power, knoweldge of how to strike effectively the female anatomy gives one power to defend herself.

Our archaic taboos sometimes injure most those that perpetuate the taboo.

KarateGirl1387
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: (Sport) Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, way to quote '1984,' SeenThatAgain! One of my fav books! I think the main reason why schools don't teach self-defense against other women is because most of the time the attacker is going to be male. (Assaults, rape, etc.) But the way i see it, if you kick someone in the groin, it doesn't matter what gender they are, it's gonna hurt!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more likely to attack a woman than some random woman? Dang it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As strange as it sounds, I've never heard of a self-defence (or women-only self-defence) class that didn't teach women how to attack the groin and/or public bone for both men and women.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that on the whole women do not NEED to kick other women in the groin. Most fights I have seen between women tend to be screaming / hairpulling / scratching affairs. Kicking someone in the groin in such a situation would, in my opinion, be overkill; and I think that anyone doing such a dangerous thing when the attack did not warrant such, would be in the wrong.

On t'other hand, if I ever meet a woman that really wants to hurt me then I will do what I need to, to keep myself safe.

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Rick_72
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick whoever you want in the groin, just as long as its not me!

alsey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan (2nd dan), jujitsu (3rd kyu), kendo (1st dan).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i think you're making a big deal out of nothing. if a woman is seriously attacked by another woman, she's either going to defend herself or not. if she's been trained to kick to the groin, then she will kick to the groin if the opportunity is there. she's not going to think 'ah damn, i havn't been told that i can kick women in the groin too, so i better not'.

if a man or a woman is properly trained, he or she will do what he or she has to do in a combat situation. if someone is still at the level where they can only do what they have directly been told to do, they will lose the fight anyway.

there is also the fact that kicking a man in the groin is considerably more effective than kicking a woman in the groin.
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to the forums, SeenThatAgain. Glad to have you here.

I have never really thought about woman on woman self-defense. As someone mentioned, most women fights are like cat fights, unless it is with Laila Ali! However, it is important to know how to defend against both the male and female anatomy for the woman.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that everyone knows that getting hit in the groin hurts, training or no... Unless you practice golden egg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: