Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ziontkd
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless you for your post. When some of my fellow students found out what I was going to name my school they quickly told me I would be making a big mistake. The club is Zion Taekwondo. it is great to see there are people of god in the martial arts that are not afraid to speak about it.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exellent article indeed, it clarifies a lot of discussions we had in this forum about christians and martial art. I perfecly agree with it. The biggest issue to be clarified was about turning the other cheek that can be easily misunderstood and I think this article clarify it very well.

Why_Worry
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good article. It points out the fact that martial arts can be peaceful and doesnt need to be only in self defense. I think if you just follow your conscience you will do whats right msot of the time. What my sensei tells me is that if you ever get in a fight the goal is to escape and not to fight. Remember the goal is not to win, but rather not to loose.

atalaya
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kyokushin, goju-ryu, aikido

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: God's Fighting Style Reply with quote

this has been a topic of deep interest to me and many of my friends. it appears that there is substantial evidence in support of a divine fighting method- especially during the wrestle Jacob had with an angel (gen 32:24-32) wherein the angel "touched the hollow of his thigh" and the sinew shrank and it went out of joint.
i have also heard it said that "turning the other cheek" had quite a bit of political significance as well. slaps were given with the back of the right hand when given to someone of lower station (this is the same society that determined the kinds of knots you could tie on shabbot). turning the other cheek put you on similar social status with the "attacker" since they had to use the palm to slap again (no one would use left hand for that kind of thing, not even mean people)

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that raised some very good points in not religious but i found it particularly interesting well done can we have another one!

Thruhiker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomkatch,

Way to put a lot of thought and effort into this article. It's a tough question that a lot of Christians wrestle with when they think about starting a Martial Art.

I believe that Martial Arts is a great enhancement to a Christian walk. The tenets follow along with Christian living.

As a Christian you wonder WWJD? In all honesty I believe Jesus would not raise a finger to harm anyone no matter the circumstances. To cause harm would have defeated JC's purpose for being on earth. After all he has the power to do anything!!

Does this mean that we as Christians should not fight. I don't know the answer to that question. I think it depends on your purpose in life. Gandhi wouldn't have hurt anyone for any reason. One of my purposes is to make sure I go home to my family every night. Another purpose is to make sure my family is safe.

Conclusion: Each person has to answer this question for themselves.

sapper6
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorites,

...Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalm 144:1

great article

sdargie
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapchidado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to see an analysis like this for other religions as well. *hint hint to anyone with the experience*

liquidkudzu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article!

lk

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: