Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find that a lot of kids who are learning are there because their parents want them to be. it may sometimes be the parents' dream that the kid is living out. I see many kids at my current dojo who really don't put in the effort cos karate isn't their thing. Yet they are up near the brown belt level with no dedication. It's really sad...

Angus

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the quote is true and not true. When I started martial arts I found the intense aggresive yet fluent side of me that I had never seen before. But I have watched as my self-esteem, and confidence has grown through my training. Karate has made me a better person.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing this topic in terms of tradition different responses and opinions are drawn as compared to those discussing from more nonstructured learning environments.

The way we think of learning martial arts now is very different from how it was learned at the turn of the previous century. When life was harder and training required a sacrifice.

Anything that one follows with enough passion to sacrifice for will impart some character. Or maybe the more one sacrifices the more superfluous parts of the character are chipped away.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Karate definately has the potential to build character or realise youre true character, but I think that alot of it depends on where you learn..

If you take a brief moment's look at the history of Karate, you'd probably find that it has alot more to do with becoming a better person mentally and physically then actually fighting. As a matter of fact, actually fighting somone in Karate is seen as the very last resort.

But how much a student of Karate comprehends this - in my opinion is dependant on the dojo. Because some teachers never mention these sort of things, some do..Some incooperate character building excersises, some don't.

For example, I once attended classes where one lesson, the sensei sat us down with a bottle infront of us. In the bottle he placed a pen top - and he said to us...take the pen top out without touching the bottle...Then he walked out..

And so we were sitting there trying to understand how to do it...it wasnt a while until someone realised that he had left a bottle of water in the corner...(learning to be observant of youre surroundings) and even longer before we realised what to do with the water bottle...(using our resources to our best possible use) The only way it was possible to take the pen top out of the bottle was to pour water into it and allow the pen top to float. It taught us in order to obtain anything out of life we have to put something into it.

As far as i think, Karate is , as one analogy goes, removing layers of paper covering the lightbulb to find the light, realising youre true self. But nowadays i think more and more the art is bieng lost.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate has the ability to change character. You can be humbled, praised, insulted, etc. That can all change your attitude. As for the bowing. It is a sign of respect. Karate is not about beating the crap out of people. It is a way of life. It is a philosophy. It is a guide. The doctrines that can be followed in a dojo are doctrines that can be followed in real life.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally somebody who is on the dsame wavelength as me......%100 agree with you karateka

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken or the egg

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg. Eggs have been around for millions of years, back to the dinosaurs. Chickens are new on the evolutionary scale.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitotsu. Jinkaku Kansei ni Tsutomuro Koto
(seek perfection of character)

This is the first precept of shotokan karate and I presume other arts.This is 1 way of proving that martial arts both build character and reveal it.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think it might develope a bit it all depends how much you train and are changing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: