Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:04 pm    Post subject: Martial arts doesn't build character, it reveals it ?! Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, u certainly learn a person's true charcter when they start to find out that they are better fighters than everyone else and become the school bully. But then again u might have the student that stands up for those being bullied... MA breeds 3 types of people - the good, the bad, and the ugly (i being the latter)...

Angus

Warlock
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that if you know someones character you should try to change it by giving who ever a taste of there own medicine and see how they like it but karate its about obseaving your anger & haterid .

C U L8R.

Black Belt Schools (UK)
(Modorator of Fitness & Health)

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad quote. There is no way in hell that Karate has anything to do with Character Building, you are learning how to hurt people, that's it's purpose, it seems odd that "masters" would try to attach such a meaning to their training when the entire karate structure revolves around dicipline and knowing your place. However, yes, I'm sure Karate goes a long way to revealing certain character traits you might not have been aware of before.

Interesting artice about this in fact.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/heresy/bowing.html

Have a look. In fact have a look all over that site if you're into shotokan karate, it goes against a lot of conventions but it sure makes you question the stuff you have drummed into you generally in dojo's and on tv and books et al.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.Yuo learn state of mind and control.It is a good way to get fit and good fun to do.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to come accross anyone in Karate who seemed paticularly enlightened. In fact a good proportion seem overly aggressive and sometimes arrogent. I think Strength of character is something you learn whatever you do, it's about your personality, if a bastard trains in Karate he'll probably turn into a bastard with skill. Sometimes somebody who might have joined Karate and have lots of friends might even start * them off with the added aggression and self confidence. I havn't really come accross this myself. My opinion only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree.......character is as one's personality. one's character is largely dertermined by their mental attitude, habits, sense of responsibility, and patience. acquired character is formed through life's experiences. therefore, through the martial arts we acquire more experience, perseverance, and humility. thus building increased character.

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Aug 12, 2001 7:59am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I'm sure if you spend great periods of time dedicating much of your life to anything it will change your character. It's the 'Karate builds charcter' saying in that it makes you a better person that I disagree with. Where you might learn to be stronger, more determined, more patient, more athletic etc. you *might* also become more arrogent, more angry, over confident etc. etc. I think its all up to the individual to make whatt hey want from anything, I don't think Karate is there to improve your personality, I think it's there to improve your fighting skills.

Of course I'm completely unqualified for this argument

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to build/change the character of children. Adults, however, are much harder to change. I don't teach character development in my martial arts, either they are good people and can train with me, or they are assholes and I kick them out.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true...if your a jerk, then with MA training you become a stronger jerk....most adults are there because they want to be.

as far as children go....MOST children are there because their parents want them there........i don't teach children due to the fact that they like to practice on school mates and there siblings.

as thai said, you can only TRY to teach character and responsibily to OTHER PEOPLE'S children.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: