Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our hospital has the only dedicated Mental Rehabilitation unit in the area and we service a large population with those needs. I have seen nearly half of our ED with mental health and substance abuse patients. It makes for interesting work. And enlightening if I choose to think on it.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

DauntlessDruid
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts for a healthcare employee Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:
So I just recently became a healthcare employee for a hospital in my area. I currently take Muay Thai. Because I'll be taking the Hippacratic Oath, I wouldn't be able to use my style of martial arts due to it's striking elements. Seeing as there might be a time where I have to confront an angry patient or an angry relative to the patient, what would be a good martial arts to learn for that kind of situation?

Firstly, I hate to be that person, but the Hippocratic oath applies only to doctors and it is not the reason you can't punch a patient. You and/or you're employer will be sued for exorbitant sums of money is the reason.

I work in an ICU as a nurse. This a trauma center that's in a small city with a big drug problem and we are the only psych facility in the area. Put those two things together and I have been punched at work far more than I ever have been punched at the Dojo.

That being said, I have never struck a patient back. I have blocked some punches and occasionally used very simple wrist releases so I could get away from patients, but I have never really used martial arts at work. If I did I would be fired and/or sued and you will be too if you use any martial art. This includes non-striking arts like BJJ. Basically, if you haven't been trained by your facility to bodily restrain a patient, DON'T DO IT. I repeat you will be fired. There is way too much of liability issues for hospital employees. If you ever got taken to court and were asked where you learned a move you used to restrain a patient and the answer was a dojo, gym or another outside facility, you're behind is toast.

If you're interested in being able to physically restrain or "takedown" patients, then you should see if your facility offers classes that certify you to be able to do that. Until you take one of those approved classes then my advice is to avoid being alone with potentially violent patients, never let them get between you and the door and if/when they become violent leave the room and call for help. Only use blocks to keeps you from being hit if you can't escape.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts for a healthcare employee Reply with quote

DauntlessDruid wrote:
neoravencroft wrote:
So I just recently became a healthcare employee for a hospital in my area. I currently take Muay Thai. Because I'll be taking the Hippacratic Oath, I wouldn't be able to use my style of martial arts due to it's striking elements. Seeing as there might be a time where I have to confront an angry patient or an angry relative to the patient, what would be a good martial arts to learn for that kind of situation?

Firstly, I hate to be that person, but the Hippocratic oath applies only to doctors and it is not the reason you can't punch a patient. You and/or you're employer will be sued for exorbitant sums of money is the reason.

I work in an ICU as a nurse. This a trauma center that's in a small city with a big drug problem and we are the only psych facility in the area. Put those two things together and I have been punched at work far more than I ever have been punched at the Dojo.

That being said, I have never struck a patient back. I have blocked some punches and occasionally used very simple wrist releases so I could get away from patients, but I have never really used martial arts at work. If I did I would be fired and/or sued and you will be too if you use any martial art. This includes non-striking arts like BJJ. Basically, if you haven't been trained by your facility to bodily restrain a patient, DON'T DO IT. I repeat you will be fired. There is way too much of liability issues for hospital employees. If you ever got taken to court and were asked where you learned a move you used to restrain a patient and the answer was a dojo, gym or another outside facility, you're behind is toast.

If you're interested in being able to physically restrain or "takedown" patients, then you should see if your facility offers classes that certify you to be able to do that. Until you take one of those approved classes then my advice is to avoid being alone with potentially violent patients, never let them get between you and the door and if/when they become violent leave the room and call for help. Only use blocks to keeps you from being hit if you can't escape.

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF, DauntlessDruid; glad that you're here!!

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: