Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

the beast
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think martial arts in the public school system would be a great idea. I know there are alot of kids out there who lack discipline and self confidence that it would greatly benefit, also maybe it would cut down on children being bullied because they would be taught to respect one another.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my hometown, Bayonne NJ, the way Tae Kwon Do is taught on school property is through the Community Education Program. Residents throughout the city receive a booklet of many courses offered, including TKD, and it's available for kids right after school, and also teens and adults at other times.

The limitation is that it's non-contact, the same now as it was twenty years ago, and it's obviously a legal concern. But since people attend private non-contact schools, it's not an anomaly.

Ozpunker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kaizen Ryu Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I forgot to mention is that although I think Martial arts should be made available in schools, it should never be made compulsory. If that was the case I think it'd have quite a negative effect.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truestar wrote:
There's no way I can see this in American schools, only because it would challenge the "Zero Tolerance Policy".

Teaching students how to defend themselves is definitely a bad idea. If a student is attacked, and they achieve light control in order to potentially save their lives, they get suspended! No matter what! There's no way martial arts should be taught in public schools.

I don't really see this as an issue at all. Case-in-point; Wrestling is already a sport option in most school systems. Other Martial Arts can be taught in a similar premise without any concern.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Truestar wrote:
There's no way I can see this in American schools, only because it would challenge the "Zero Tolerance Policy".

Teaching students how to defend themselves is definitely a bad idea. If a student is attacked, and they achieve light control in order to potentially save their lives, they get suspended! No matter what! There's no way martial arts should be taught in public schools.

I don't really see this as an issue at all. Case-in-point; Wrestling is already a sport option in most school systems. Other Martial Arts can be taught in a similar premise without any concern.

I agree with bushido_man96 on this one. Its not that much different than kids learning outside of school in any case. The same thing could still happen.

As a side note, I have a friend from Hong Kong who was taught MA as part of sports classes from junior school upwards.

Truestar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Truestar wrote:

I agree with bushido_man96 on this one. Its not that much different than kids learning outside of school in any case. The same thing could still happen.

As a side note, I have a friend from Hong Kong who was taught MA as part of sports classes from junior school upwards.

The paragraph you quoted was my "this is what would be said by the community", my true feelings were expressed below.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truestar wrote:
DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Truestar wrote:

The paragraph you quoted was my "this is what would be said by the community", my true feelings were expressed below.

Truestar speaks the truth! His actual feelings were:

Truestar wrote:

Now for the reality aspect, absolutely. I think it would be awesome to get high schools involved in tournaments and whatnot. My dojang would always come before my school, however I would be more than glad to compete, train, and share my knowledge of the martial arts with my peers.

Unfortunately my fake little ramble up top is the argument of a lot of people. Martial Arts is taught a little bit in schools, (EKP-Education Karate Program), but that's as much as I've ever heard in schools and MA.

Truestar, this is the danger of first playing Devil's Advocate, and then coming across with the "Right Stuff." I remember when I first read it, I was shocked--then relieved when right reason prevailed in the end!

Ranpu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school, I have a friend thats in wrestling, and I wanted to learn karate, but I had to find a dojo because the school doesn't and wont teeach it because its more physical with less padding then most sports, wrestling is mainly grappling and submission

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Wrestling is just as physical as Karate is, if not more so. It just doesn't have the striking aspect, which is what public schools tend to shy away from.

brokenswordx
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu Karate, Muso Jikiden Eishin Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxma wrote:

As for the topic of this thread, i don't believe that martial arts should be put into public schools for the main fact that martial arts isn't for everybody. It is a commitment, and if children are forced to take it, they will do the same thing they do all day in school: horse around, not pay attention, and come to despise being put there. I think that would be a blasphemy. Then again, not many feel as strongly as i do.

I feel the same way. Forcing someone to do something they don't want it never a good idea.

Quote:
I am, however, attending college this fall, and there are martial arts classes offered at my university. I think that this is a wonderful opportunity, for it gives young adults the opportunity to partake in a new experience that may change their lives, while not being mandatory.
I am slightly apprehensive about the quality of the teaching, however, but am looking forward to it nonetheless.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: