Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
For a lot of people it is very difficult to take in and especially to recall later what their instructor covered after the training session. Taking notes is a great idea for keeping track of one’s personal progress, as well as an excellent tool for planning and organizing personal practise away from the school when it is closed or one is unable to attend. Writing and recording corrections or technical points given by the instructor gives during training really helps because one can go back on and work on them. Without notes or a great memory, knowing exactly what to practise can be overwhelming. Those who have been through post secondary level education are aware of the importance of taking notes. The same method is easily applicable to non-academics and any activity one wishes to learn more efficiently and improve consistently.

These are all great points. Something I've considered for some time, should I ever run my own school again, is providing new white belts with a notebook to start out with, and tell them to write something down in it every night after class. Mark the date, and then just make notes....what was hard, what you found interesting, what you hated, etc...and then I'd have them bring it back periodically just to see things from their perspective. I think they would be quite revealing, and help instructors out in teaching their students. And, to see the adventure through their thoughts, and not how I see them progress.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:
For a lot of people it is very difficult to take in and especially to recall later what their instructor covered after the training session. Taking notes is a great idea for keeping track of one’s personal progress, as well as an excellent tool for planning and organizing personal practise away from the school when it is closed or one is unable to attend. Writing and recording corrections or technical points given by the instructor gives during training really helps because one can go back on and work on them. Without notes or a great memory, knowing exactly what to practise can be overwhelming. Those who have been through post secondary level education are aware of the importance of taking notes. The same method is easily applicable to non-academics and any activity one wishes to learn more efficiently and improve consistently.

These are all great points. Something I've considered for some time, should I ever run my own school again, is providing new white belts with a notebook to start out with, and tell them to write something down in it every night after class. Mark the date, and then just make notes....what was hard, what you found interesting, what you hated, etc...and then I'd have them bring it back periodically just to see things from their perspective. I think they would be quite revealing, and help instructors out in teaching their students. And, to see the adventure through their thoughts, and not how I see them progress.

That's a good idea, might start implementing that

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:

That's a good idea, might start implementing that
I think they will just be full of little treasure troves of enlightenment.

I'm just guessing here, but if I had to guess about the length, depth, content, etc of the entries, I'd believe they would be quite lengthy in the early ranks, and as time passed, the length of the entries would get shorter, but probably be more concise and more clearly written; brief, but more descriptive.

But, that's just a guess.

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep notes of when I practice and learn new katas. In my notes I list whether I did abs, stretching, self defense techniques and what katas I worked on. Whether it's Jion, Jitte, Enpi, Kanku Dai, etc. Occasionally if we cover something in class that I had a hard time understanding I will take notes to review them and go over the same material when I practice later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: